Supra Fly 60

Following on from the SF45 and with quite a bit of interest in me building the larger '60 size version, here we go with the prototype build.

Initial stages of the fuselage construction, fuselage side with doublers, tail-plane doubler and stringer rear fuselage reinforcement.

img_1408.jpg

Sides joined with radio deck and formers keeping it straight. Note Rawlnuts for securing engine mount.

img_1409.jpg

Top alignment deck fitted, ensuring a straight fuselage. With this added, even before the bottom sheeting, the stiffness starts to increase.

img_1410.jpg

Underside view showing radio tray and rear fuselage stringers.

img_1411.jpg

Bottom rear fuselage sheet added, really resistant to twisting now.

img_1412.jpg

Advert

Steve,

Nice work as always! I look forward to seeing the "big brother" come together.

Say, how does one upload images here? The tools in the post window seem to only allow one to post images from an "album". Can't one upload directly from one's hard drive?

TIA, David

P.S. I've drawn up plans for a Supra Star 45. It's on a "to cut" list but it's not first in line unfortunately. For simplicty and reduced foam materials, only the wing and stab have cores. The front and rear decks are skinned with 3/32" balsa over formers.

Posted by David Oxilia on 10/06/2014 23:14:59:

Say, how does one upload images here? The tools in the post window seem to only allow one to post images from an "album". Can't one upload directly from one's hard drive?

TIA, David

Hi David,

Have a look at the various tutorials here - after the first one, it gets easier...wink 2

Pete

• 1 month later...

Both are finished item but I think I'll get some PETG for a crystal clear canopy. HIP leaves a milky hue to the moulding, hence tinting it with RC car 'smoke' (as here) or the blue used on the '45 size canopy. Would be nice to put a pilot in this one as there is a bit more room for the servos (not encroaching into the canopy area).

It'll not be ready for this Saturday, been on with other orders this week. Will be ready for Shrewsbury though.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Steve,

beautiful as always! Your fuse is also extremely light!

And regarding the cowl, yes please! I believe you might have my email address from our earlier exchanges. Please drop me a line when you can letting me know how much you need for the SF40 and SF60 cowls and canopies. I figure the shipping on one cowl or a cowl/canopy pair for each of the models will roughly be the same.

Thanks, David

I'll sort that out for you David.

Jim, I have already done three kits of the 45 size, with orders for two more and plan to do the same for the 60 size. The construction features a 'lock together' type with a crutch to keep the fus straight during construction. Please PM me with your e-mail address. Note, I'm off on holiday Weds for a week so progress delayed a little more.

Steve

PS thanks for the comments.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just a rider to complete this blog. After a flying layoff of 9 months, pleased to report that the '60 size was maidened today. Minimal trimming, another 'boring' maiden flight for one of my models from the club secretary!

Thumbs were a bit shaky for the first flight but rock solid on the second. Well pleased.

Steve

Here we go then Extra Slim.

Weight is 7jb 9oz and is powered by an OS 61 that was built with parts from different sources! Pump and carb from a Hanno Special, crankcase and cylinder head from Brandon Ransley and a new piston and liner (61 RF) from Hong Kong. Don't try, Sam Wragg had the last one!!!! Turning a 12 x9 at the moment but could go higher. It's on a Hanno pipe as well.

Vertical is now problem and rudder response is very pure, good for getting back on line and not making it obvious!

Wings, tail and top deck are balsa veneered foam. Wing and tail put in a vacuum table for curing and adhesion. Cores cut on a Step 4 foam cutter. Fuselage parts cut on a cnc router.

Bout it really, oh and fuselage is self jigging.

Steve