Radio gear compatability

Les Littleton

• 2 weeks later...

Seconds out ,end of round one. Thanks to all who have joined in this debate,  its been both informative and confusing to me. Am i any wiser ? i think so , but it looks like i may have opened that can of worms  mentioned by kevin ..oops. Now where did i put that article on free flight,and my bag of rubber bands .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I definitely agree with Howard there. The crystal determines the frequency and nothing else. Slight differences in circuitry could cause a foriegn crystal to cause the unit to be off frequency a little bit. This may not show up on a range test but lets assume that the rx frequency was a little bit low and it encountered a transmitter on the ajacent channel that was a little bit high, and it does happen, there could be isues there.

In the case Les quoted the TX needs a Futaba crystal and the RX a Sanwa

my understanding is - for receivers -

dont put JR crystals in anybody elses Rx and vice versa as JR operate a different IF ( intermediate frequency ) and therefore are not compatable with other crystals.  As far as I know JR are the only exception ( just as they are the only ones to have the Tx charging plug connections reversed ) and this would suggest that Rx crystals are interchangeable between the other makes.

dont mix crystals for single and dual IF Rx's even on the same make,

I have been using hitec and futaba  crystals in both hitec, futaba and some other makes and have no problems.  As has been suggested above - suck it and see - preferably on the ground and with other Tx's switched on on adjacent channels ( above and below ) for safety check.

Somewhere in my workshop, i have a note on this for both Rx's and Tx's which I will try and find as -if memory serves, there are also differences in the way crystals are used - using lower frequency crystals and tuning the Tx in on the harmonics to achieve 35 megs.

perhaps someone more au fait with radio / RC equipment could elaborate