SLEC 80" Astro Hog

Advert

• 8 years later...

Did you ever build the Hog Chris?  It was a while ago you posited, but I just spotted the post as I was browsing through?

I actually have a fleet of the SLEC Astro Hog's on the way, and purely by accident.  I have the kit ready to build, supplied by Chris at SLEC as a special order a couple of years ago (he'll still build and supply the kits if you call, even though the details are not on the site!).  The only reason I haven't built it yet, I asked Martin at Ace Jets to supply a 20cc petrol engine, and he said he could but that our club also had an aircraft fully built and unused with a 20cc engine which had belonged to a passed away member and which was available for a suitable donation.  I said yes please and discovered it was a SLEC Astro Hog, a real coincidence.  I've put the kit to one side at the moment as I've plenty of other kits to keep me occupied and have been flying the built one for a couple of seasons now, and it flies beautifully and copes very well with the constant high winds up at Barkston Heath.  The kit itself in my opinion is very good quality.  The only problems I've had with the flying one were down to the building capabilities of the original owner.  He managed to build in a huge warp in one wing (very impressive given the weight and strength of them!) which I've eventually got out and decided to top hinge the built-up ailerons instead of curving and fairing the leading edge which resulted in not enough control throw (I've also sorted this out by stripping and rebuilding the aileron leading edge and wing false trailing edge), all good fun.  Most of my flying time is split evenly between this one and my Goldberg Tiger 60, both smashing fliers.  Cheers, Marc

• Like 1

I was aware of the SIG and Flair Astro Hog kits, but never knew SLEC did one!

I know SLEC have taken on some of the old Precedent and Apache Aircraft kits, so is this a pick-up from Flair that they are (were) producing?

Either way, it's odd that they don't publicise it, as I would be tempted...

On 26/10/2022 at 13:31, Mike T said:

I was aware of the SIG and Flair Astro Hog kits, but never knew SLEC did one!

I know SLEC have taken on some of the old Precedent and Apache Aircraft kits, so is this a pick-up from Flair that they are (were) producing?

Either way, it's odd that they don't publicise it, as I would be tempted...

It might be worth giving them a quick call (I think its Chris and Tina from memory) if you are thinking about it.  I saw them at the BMFA Modellers Fair at Buckminster a few weeks ago and I mentioned the kit they'd made for me in just a few weeks from asking.  He said the speed depends on what fittings he has in stock generally, as the laser cutting can be done very quickly.  I think they do a lot of this kit work for the likes of RCME and Tony Nijhuis.  I like the Astro Hog they make as its big (and I do like big aeroplanes) and it looks quite traditional with built up barn door ailerons.  If you would like, when I go in the garage later this week, I'll dig out the flier and take/post some photos for you?