Our Forum, is there a continuous thread layout?

KingKade

At the bottom of ongoing popular treads there are usually page numbers that you can click on. Is there a way of adjusting the number of posts that appear on each page?

like the way it works on shopping website.. 10 post per page, 50,100, etc....

so in theory you could have one long tread that you can scroll down... I know it would be a pain on the longer treads due to down load times.....

but having the option?...

kk

Advert

Of course it means thread.

As it seemed to work before, I'd like to put my name forward in favour of having this option integrated into the site.

If enough people agree, I'm sure the admin would be happy to ask the very competent programmers here at RCME to make this feature a reality.

As a frequent visitor of the site on things like my mobile phone while at work etc, I think that having to download possibly a big page, with lots of photo`s, if I wanted to look at a thread would be a nightmare. I personally think 20 per page is fine and the ability to skip to the last page to see the most recent comments without having to re-download the whole thread every time a new comment is made is very good

Posted by Prop Nut on 07/06/2014 19:44:23:

What is a 'tread', in this context? Should it read 'thread'?

Edited By Prop Nut on 07/06/2014 19:45:09

Of course... Tread = thread, and in the future thread also = thead, thred, thrad, etc...... Depending on how quick i type on this phone on a bus.....

I personally think it's fine as is, but what I think would be nice is the ability to go straight to the first "unread" post in the thread instead of going to the last page !

Other forums I frequent offer this option, so it can't be that difficult.

To clarify, for all those saying it would be fine as is, I imagine the default option would be "as is". So it wouldn't be intrusive, just another additional useful facility.

One particular situation I'd find this useful in would be with a new build thread that I'm trying to get the meat out of. I can set the thread to minimum number of pages (max number of posts per page) and scroll all the way through, stopping only at the pictures, skimming over the words, etc.

Hi chaps, just to put my shillings worth in...... I find the current lay out to be an advantage especially when viewing large threads as the pages give a reference point as to the parts that are of interest, as well as knowing where you have got to when reading them. When I go back I can quickly find where I left off. Maybe it harks back to an old system that I remember from many years ago - 'books' i think they were called - and it was a handy way of navigating the contents buy using a numbered reference system. Also when you consider the value for money this forum offers in terms of joining fee's i:e free (aside from subscriber content) the huge content and the amount of input from the mods and obvious enthusiasm with which it is run, I am happy to suffer the 'inconvenience' of pressing another virtual button to navigate around.

Or maybe I am just old.

Cheers, Simon