What's the most wind you've flown in?

Jeremy Tapp

Advert

I flew my fairly rapid Screamer (own design) just after the famous 1987 (Michael Fish) hurricane.
This is an aeroplane which simply comes alive in rough conditions.

The wind was still blowing steadily at about 70 mph and it was difficult to stand up.
It was only done for a £5 bet with a buddy.

The downwind passes were spectacular.... and I came away five quid better off.

B.C.

This is the thing - I was wondering if you could do a near vertical approach from the overhead. Just "hovering" down. Clearly you'd actually land with some forward speed due to the wind gradient.

But what are the average approach speeds for an aircraft, and what are the average 10 foot off the ground (say) windspeeds when you have 50mph strong gales say?

Andy Ellison was telling me recently that he was slope soaring in 100mph winds just after xmas.

I've flown in some very strong winds, with the right model it's fun. Often it's just landings and take off's that are the tricky bit, once up its a hoot.

Jeremy with, say a WOT4/Cougar a hovering type landing is pretty easy....'ish

This be the tale.........(New years Eve 2006)

Well, I don't recall laughing so much while slope soaring for years. The UK is being hit by violent storms at the moment causing structural damage today and no doubt on through the night. I even hear we've had another Tornado!

Me? Have Rodent - Will travel and with a forecast like this one it had to be the Great Orme in North Wales (600ft coastal slope) with all the lead I could muster.
I was dissappointed to find it blowing only 20mph or so when I flew my Opus V DS to get a feel for the air. Back to the car to rig the Erwin 5 DS but by the time I had the wing taped on the wind had jumped up to 65mph at the edge.
Put the ballastless Erwin away then and out with the Rodent. Within minutes the wind had hit 82mph on the edge and the Rodent was shrieking like a Banshee through huge halfpipes and massive loops.
I had to stop flying soon after though as the wind was closing my eyelids involuntarily (no glasses) so I had to borrow some Ski Goggles before I carried on. We were also getting hit by small rocks blowing 'up' the slope! They hurt when they hit you at that speed.
My trusty Diplex Anemometer hit the stop at 140kph (86.9mph) with the wind audibly and physically causing it to spin even faster.....
Standing up on the edge was very, very hard with no respite from the wind. Getting to the edge to launch was physically challenging and it was this that caused most of the laughter.
Thank god for bendy aerials!!!

The Rodent just sucked it all up......Is there no limit to this model?????
What a brilliant day.
Eventually popped the wing off landing in a rotor when it hit the deck first so she needs a bit of a tart up now but of course when she ain't so pretty I'll just fly her harder...
We ended up flying a fully loaded old skool JW but it struggled to go forwards even with all the lead in.
I'll stick my neck out here and say I think we regularly flew in some 100+mph gusts, though of course I can't prove it. Can you measure wind speed by size of grin?
Need a better wind meter........Mmmm?
This one I suspect: http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/..._Anemometer.asp

Anyway. All credit to John Higgins. A master of his art....and to my special R1 which is becoming my 'go to' model..

Happy new year all, and may all your landings be the right side up.....

Andy Ellison
UK

Hi,

I don't own an anemometer (try saying that after a few pints fast) but I own a 4m fox sailplane. The stronger the wind the better it flies. Only real problem is launching a model this size in strong winds takes a bit of team work. The lift generated from the wings makes it nearly impossible to hold for one person. Really must buy one of those mometer things and find out what it will take.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Flew in F5 (about 25-30mph) this weekend. Used a Trixie, lightweight parasol wing geared 400 3-channel. Good fun flying backwards, but the backwards taxi after landing was uncontrollable! Also flew the Nijhuis Aerovan twin 400s - big loops and almost vertical landing approaches on a flat flying site by the sea.

I agree with Andy, one of the best flights ever was with my SAS THING 1M at the Llyn peninsular; I had to gaffer tape a 2lb rock to it, and the winds were clocked gusting at over 100mph, couldn't stand up, grin factor beyond mega! I would do it again tommorw- Flanker