Phil Noel ME262 Traplet plan MW3666

IanN

I'm considering building Phil Noel's ME262 but would like to know if a build article exists

Traplet say they don't have one, which is understandable as I believe they weren't the original publishers, but acquired the Phil Noel range as a "job lot"

The plan sheets bear the "Radio Control Jet International" logo and are annotated "approved by P Noel Nov 2006". However, looking at covers of RCJI online, on ebay and the like, from late 2006 into 2007 hasn't turned up any mention of the ME262 that I've been able to spot so I'm guessing that's a red herring

A couple of fairly brief build logs that I've come across seem to suggest this may have been available as a kit, in which case that presumably came with some instructions

This isn't a showstopper as if I decide to proceed I'd probably go for the cnc woodpack anyway - I don't normally do that but this one has a LOT of quite complex parts to cut. However, if an article or instructions did exist they would be nice to have. Any of you nice peeps have any ideas?

Advert

A listing for the contents of RC Jets Aug Sept 2008 issue has an item " Airworld Me262
Colin Straus reports on the successful flight of the twin Kolibri Me262 " Is that the same model?  

The April/May 2008 issue has  "Airworld Me 262
Colin Straus describes fitting out the Me262 with 2 Kolibri engines"

Edited By kc on 21/06/2014 16:05:10

build thread here  :   http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394022

i was keen on the PN design but decided that it was too complex for my limited cutting skills

I'm currently in the initial stages of a  self modified Jack Bales design for the ME 262.which is rather more simple.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Oh, and sorry for hijacking the thread

Cheers,

Brian

Edited By Brian Wilson 2 on 21/06/2014 21:22:44

Thanks for responses, both

KC, the Airworld ME262 is (I think) a full composite gf moulded kit, quite a bit larger than the Phil Noel plan. Looks like a very desirable item indeed, though probably beyond my pockets

Brian, I came to the same conclusion as you re the PN design v my cutting skills. Hence why I'm looking at the CNC pack. I've never resorted to buying CNC parts before but in this instance the sheer no of bits actually makes it very attractive financially, when compared v the time / accuracy equation if you go the DIY route

What's' the Jack Bale design? For some reason I seem to have caught the ME262 bug and am interested in any / all options smiley

The Jack Bale printed plan can be purchased here , http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-Scale-Messerschmitt-Me-262-Plans-and-Templates-/360942643103?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item5409dba79for

I also downloaded a digital copy from here for minimal cost: http://casadabalsa.com/DigitalPlans/index.php?id_product=54&controller=product&id_lang=1&search_query=me+262&results=10

This is very convenient as I can just print off a section of the plan full size as required and cut it up .

The plan is a bit vague in the wing construction but I am modifying it anyway.

Word of caution.....check all dimensions and squareness as for example, the horiz stabiliser is not drawn symetrically; almost like he had his drawing machine ( this is dated 1972) slightly out of square, but that is no worry if you are aware of it.

I would have gone for the Traplett laser cut kit but by time freight to NZ is added to the original cost, it is not an economical proposition

ps

You are not the only one with a 'thing' about the ME 262; I have admired the shape and look of these aircraft since childhood

Edited By Brian Wilson 2 on 22/06/2014 03:09:47

Hi IanN,

I can't help on your specific question but do have experience of a Phil Noel kit which uses the same construction design principles as the ME262, a Tigercat F7F. When Philip Noel had his own website up and running he described the construction of some of his kits as being 'self-aligning'.

What this meant was the intricate formers and central 'spine' of the models could only be assembled correctly one way and the inter-locking balsa parts joined up in a perfectly aligned and accurate fashion with minimal jigging.

I built his Tigercat as my first ever balsa kit and whilst it took ages it was 'straight and true'. I will be very interested to see how well machined the Traplet plan pack is if you do buy it - I fancy having a go at building Philip Noel mosquito.

Instructions used to be available for the kits although not that detailed for the Tigercat. They consisted mainly of photo's of how things should look when assembled. The rcgroups.com Philip Noel build thread linked earlier in the thread is probably as good as any instructions that were available when these kits were being produced by Philip Noel Designs.

subscribed to your build thread.

James

Posted by JAMES S on 22/06/2014 06:45:16:

What this meant was the intricate formers and central 'spine' of the models could only be assembled correctly one way and the inter-locking balsa parts joined up in a perfectly aligned and accurate fashion with minimal jigging.

I'd sort of assumed that would be the case, having viewed PN's build log. Thx for confirming. I probably will go ahead with the Traplet CNC pack. From the parts sheet that came with the plans there look to be upwards of 120 pieces, some of them involving very intricate frettery indeed, so on that basis I'd say the cnc parts will be undeniable vfm, assuming the quality is good. I'll let you know how it shapes up

Traplet usually do 10% off at the shows they attend, so if I don't collect one from them beforehand, that will probably be Eastnor in mid Aug or Much Marcle in early Sept. (Brian, totally sympathise with the overseas postage cost scenario - there's many a time I've fancied something, only to find that carriage costs make it completely uneconomic. Jack Bale plan looks interesting)

And my thinking behind all of this? I'd actually acquired (VERY reasonably indeed) a HET RC composite ME262 complete with fans, motors and ESCs

het me262.jpg

It's a very nice thing indeed but - critically - the nacelles imo don't have sufficient structural integrity for repeated belly landings (plus the motor access hatches compound this). So, that pretty much commits you to either installing retracts or doing some substantial beefing up, both of which add weight.

Trawling various internet build logs did indeed reveal some fairly weighty examples, and reported survival rates weren't high - probably like the full size! What tipped it for me was that very few who had built one seemed to have kept it, or be flying it regularly as a "favourite". If anyone has built and flown one and found different, please let me know

However the 70mm fans that came with the HET are what the PN design uses, so those will go in there. The rest of the "masterplan" is to use the HET airframe (which is a gorgeous looking thing) for PSS

Posted by IanN on 22/06/2014 13:11:59:

However the 70mm fans that came with the HET are what the PN design uses, so those will go in there. The rest of the "masterplan" is to use the HET airframe (which is a gorgeous looking thing) for PSS

IanN

I like your style - 2 x ME262's out of one donor kit is getting good value for money. Thanks for confirming that you'll post about the quality of the CNC pack from Traplet when you get it.

James