Chapter One - RCM&E's build-a-plane series

Nigel Hawes

Hi Simon,

An SC.25 is very much at the top of the power tree for this model so you would need a very small 4-stroke. I'm not familiar with i.c. engines as I've only operated electric models for the last 20 years, but back then an OS FS.20 or HP VT.25 may have done the job, but you won't be able to use anything heavier than the SC.25 (300 grams) or you'll never achieve the C of G without having to add lead weights to the rear of the fuselage, which isn't ideal.

Hope this helps!

Nige.

Advert

Posted by Nigel Hawes on 19/03/2015 12:11:28:

Hi Simon,

An SC.25 is very much at the top of the power tree for this model so you would need a very small 4-stroke. I'm not familiar with i.c. engines as I've only operated electric models for the last 20 years, but back then an OS FS.20 or HP VT.25 may have done the job, but you won't be able to use anything heavier than the SC.25 (300 grams) or you'll never achieve the C of G without having to add lead weights to the rear of the fuselage, which isn't ideal.

Hope this helps!

Nige.

Nigel thanks for this info.

I'd thought that it would need to be small 4-stroke. In fact, my reason for posting my query was because I stumbled across the ASP 0.30 FS a few weeks back when reading up about engines -- including 4-strokes -- to get a feel for what is out there.

I was surprised to find that there are no 'small' 4-strokes available any more... and OS has just discontinued its FS-30 Surpass. The ASP weighs 275g, but I will need to check if this mass includes the silencer. To be honest I prefer electric myself. Chapter one will be my first plane: previously I have flown small electric helicopters -- so it will be a whole new experience, hence all the general research. Once again thanks for your help.

All the best

Simon

Edited By Simon Atkinson on 21/03/2015 08:16:58

Edited By Simon Atkinson on 21/03/2015 08:18:07

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have started building Chapter One and have a query about dihedral. I have finished the left-hand wing, the one with the dihedral braces in it, and have started on the right-hand wing. I have got to the point where I need to join them but when I put them together as a 'dry run' I find that the dihedral comes out at 3 inches instead of 4 inches as mentioned in the articles in RCM&E. What I would like to know is does this matter? If it does, I can adjust the exposed part of the braces to achieve 4 inches of dihedral but I will only do this if it's necessary.

Has anyone else come across this?

Stephen Carter

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Stephen Carter on 10/04/2015 23:20:41:

Hi Everyone,

I have started building Chapter One and have a query about dihedral. I have finished the left-hand wing, the one with the dihedral braces in it, and have started on the right-hand wing. I have got to the point where I need to join them but when I put them together as a 'dry run' I find that the dihedral comes out at 3 inches instead of 4 inches as mentioned in the articles in RCM&E. What I would like to know is does this matter? If it does, I can adjust the exposed part of the braces to achieve 4 inches of dihedral but I will only do this if it's necessary.

Has anyone else come across this?

Stephen Carter

Can you or did you confirmed that the dihedral braces shown on the plan give you 4 inches of dihedral. I'm asking because it wont be the first time that there are Discrepancies onto the plans, the author in the article says 4 inches and then you find that the plans says or show 3 inches. it happened for me once while building alex whittaker bushwacker a similar trainer to Chapter 1. i had to confirm with Alex himself, you can take a look at my album to see what i mean i think i took pictures about that if still they are there.

Check your plans just in case

Regards

Daniel

Posted by Simon Atkinson on 21/03/2015 08:16:05:
Posted by Nigel Hawes on 19/03/2015 12:11:28:

Hi Simon,

Hope this helps!

Nige.

Nigel thanks for this info.

I'd thought that it would need to be small 4-stroke. In fact, my reason for posting my query was because I stumbled across the ASP 0.30 FS a few weeks back when reading up about engines -- including 4-strokes -- to get a feel for what is out there.

I was surprised to find that there are no 'small' 4-strokes available any more... and OS has just discontinued its FS-30 Surpass. The ASP weighs 275g, but I will need to check if this mass includes the silencer. To be honest I prefer electric myself. Chapter one will be my first plane: previously I have flown small electric helicopters -- so it will be a whole new experience, hence all the general research. Once again thanks for your help.

All the best

Simon

Edited By Simon Atkinson on 21/03/2015 08:16:58

Edited By Simon Atkinson on 21/03/2015 08:18:07

I used a SC30FS on my BUSHWACKER which i think is similar in size and weight of the CHAPTER ONE, it flew very well and i didn't find it too overpowered the can overwhelm you. the only problem was that it needed more downthrust. i think about 7deg or maybe more.

• 1 month later...

Hullo Nigel,

I dismissed my foam-e Wot 4 yesterday. I have a sneaking suspicion the elevator servo failed, but it's hard to tell from the debris. Anyway, the motor and sundry bits survived the impact, and I quite fancy building one of these.

However I'd like to make a naileron wing. Any idea when the plans'll be published? I could probably work something out for myself, but I'd rather not if you've done all the spadework.

Hi Chris,

David Ashby is the best person to ask about this, I submitted the article and plan some time ago so I can only assume it's in the process of coming up for publishing.

You can E-mail him at the editorial address in the front of the magazine.

Hope this helps!

Nige.

• 3 months later...

Hi there, Bobby basic question but I've just built the fuselage for this and am about to move onto the wings but am really struggling to source the 4mm spruce spars for them, does anyone have any ideas on where to get them? I've tried all the online balsa places and no-one seems to stock that size?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it becoming quite frustrating!

Thanks in advance

Tim

• 1 month later...

I've had the plan for this model for some time and have been waiting for the aileron wing plan to appear. I've just picked up the latest issue of RCM&E in which said plan was to appear. Well, the article is in the magazine, but the wing plan isn't! I checked every copy in Smiths and Tesco's and it isn't in any of them. This is very disappointing after waiting so long. As I've managed to destroy my Wot 4 and the power train is similar I was really looking forward to building this plane. 😕

The article says the aileron wing has a different rib section - not flat bottomed, so it says you need to change the wing cutout in the fuselage. Presumably the aileron wing ribs are not in the ordinary CNC kit, maybe they will produce a just a set of aileron wing ribs?

I think they are strip ailerons.

Whilst that sounds like a neat idea Steve what about the spars and wing joiners? The spars would surely be nearer the lower surface on a symmetrical wing and wont go right across the fuselage. A bit of a weak point just where it matters and in a model that will be more aerobatic & stressed. Only for experts like Steve  I suggest, others should stick to the plan..

Edited By kc on 05/11/2015 17:18:37

Posted by kc on 05/11/2015 17:17:06:

Whilst that sounds like a neat idea Steve what about the spars and wing joiners? The spars would surely be nearer the lower surface on a symmetrical wing and wont go right across the fuselage. A bit of a weak point just where it matters and in a model that will be more aerobatic & stressed. Only for experts like Steve I suggest, others should stick to the plan..

Edited By kc on 05/11/2015 17:18:37

You may be right KC....I probably won't know for definite until I have all the bits on the bench but it seems to me that the deviation for the rear spar should be slight. My main issue is that my 8 YO who flies it likes the model as it is (rudder & elevator) but fancies the idea of ailerons. The ability to swap between the two wings would potentially be quite useful.......

I can get another 100W out of the motor set up by changing the prop so with the new wing & the big prop there is quite an aerobat in there waiting to be discovered I think.....