wwi bi-plane props

Gary Murphy 1

Advert

Hi,Gary As PatMc says, we need to know what aircraft you are interested in.

As a very rough guide, WW1 props were wooden, mahogany being prefered if it was available. Sometimes, they were laminated from thin layers, which gave them a rather attractive striped look. Also, sometimes the leading edge was protected with a metal strip, and sometimes they were reinforced with fabric. As a ball park size, maybe around 2.5 meters in diameter.

ernie

Sorry should of said what planes, sopwith pup,tiger moth,se5a,fokker d7.

I have seen these kits and props on them range average 12" . The pup for instace is 40"wing span and is listed to use 12"with elec motor,looks huge! just wondered what the scale.ish size would be,8,9,10,11,12?

Cheers Ian,Its so surprising I have a pup kit I am about to build,elec.The prop spec is 12" more for the motor than scale spec I think,and it looks huge when held to the plan,apx 1 and 3/8 ground clearance. When I have seen films etc I have never noticed the size being that big. I think my pup is quoted 1/6 scale

For the old rotary engines they had lots of torque but not much revs (rpm) so they had to use large props with high piches to get enough omp'f to fly. All that metal wizing around and the prop made some real handling considerations.

Edited By flight1 on 01/07/2014 11:52:33