Decal Problem

Hi folks

Can someone please help me. I've just bought the ST Model Discovery and I'm having trouble sticking the decals on it! I tried the usual procedure for water slide decals, but that turned out to be a disaster! Is the paper backing meant to stay on the decals and you have to stick them on with some kind of glue.

There were no instructions in the kit to explain how to apply them. I's there anyone how can explain how its done. Please help.

Dave

Advert

Hi David, what type of decal is it? Are you sure it's a waterslide? They are very good, because they are very thin, and look just like paint, but they are quite unusual nowadays. Normally decals today are sticky back plastic.

ernie

The likelihood is that they are self-adhesive as Ernie says, David and should peel off the backing paper.

The trick to getting them in place first time is to wet the surface of the wing or whatever with either water with a drop or two of washing-up liquid or, my preference, a spray of window-cleaner. That allows you to slide the decal into the position you want. Then, with a cloth or sponge, squeegee the water from underneath the decal and leave it for the adhesive to setthumbs up

Pete

Thanks Pete and Ernie for your replies. My first thought was to peel off the backing paper, but when I tried the paper separated and half got left on the decal, that's why I tried treating them like waterslids, that was even worse!!! It would help if the manufactures printed instructions on the back of the decal so dumbos like me would know if they were stickybacks, waterslides or what ever. I'll have to give peeling the paper of the backs another go I suppose!

Thanks again for your help

Happy Landings Dave. smiley

Hi David

The decals are self adhesive, just peel off the backing paper and sick on the model. It is quite easy to split the backing paper and only peel off half of it. Don't treat them like transfers since they are self adhesive plastic. The good news is that the Discovery is a great model, easy to fly and will do aeros too, mine is still in one piece. Enjoy

Brian

Thanks Brian. My problem was as I was trying to peel off the backing paper, half of it was being left on the sticky back plastic. I cracked it in the end by wetting a small part of the edge with a small paint brush, when the edge went darker start peeling back the paper, then with my nails, scrape off what was left stuck to the sticky back plastic until it was clear. once I got all the paper coming off, I lied up the transfer where it needed to be, stuck down the sticky bit and smoothed it out with a credit card, folded the remainder of the transfer back on it's self, then using the card again, gently moved along the transfer with a sort of sawing motion until all the backing paper was off and the transfer was in place. I took photos of how I was doing it and when I get a chance, I'll post them on here so others can see how I did it.

Thanks again guys. Happy Landings. Dave