Kyosho CAP 232 crashes

One of our club members bought Kyosho CAP 232. On about the second flight he was turning to the left and it just tightened up and went in regardless of what he did.

He rebuilt the fuselage and flew it again today. after some time it did exactly the same thing, tightened up in a left turn and refused to respond. I can understand why oposite aileron would make the left wing tip stall but I don't know why it didn't do the same thing to the right unless it was torque.

Anyone else had the same propblem with this model

Another very strange thing. While examining the model to see if we could spot anything wrong I noticed taht the wing section which is semi-symmetrical (or bi-convex for the purist) has MORE CURVE ON THE UNDERSIDE, In other words it looks as though it was built the wrong way up.

I am sure that this would not cause any problems considering the I use a flat bottomed section on my designs and you can tell any difference whne theya re inverted but it does make one wonder.

Advert

The servo is definately on the biottom of the wing. I will ask the owner to check if the other wing is the same, I seem to remember that it was. The centre section does not show a step and it would have done if it had been two left wings.

The Wing seat certainly  was a good fit from new. The owner is a builder and would never have accepted a poor fit or the need to trim it.

The model fuselage was trashed on the first flight and has beenr ebuilt with exactly the same result. I don't think that the wing section caused the problem, it is too close to symmetrical to have very much effect.

The Cap is a low wing job where the servo(s) would either be buried in the mid wing section or a single servo in the middle driving both ailerons.

From the photo, it looks like the sevo is in the centre of the wing. The side shown in the photo is then the right way up.

Need to see the other side to be sure.

Dear John

The model has a separate servo driving each aileron on the underside of the wing. Please give me a little credit for knowing which way up the wing is.

AS shown the top of the wing is uppermost in the photo. Trust me, that wing section is upside down. I draw enough of them myself.

• 5 months later...

Just stumbled upon this......

I have experienced the very same problem with my Kyosho Cap and although I have managed to save it from going in, found it very twitchy, especialy in a turn when all it seemed to want to do is stall. I tried to no avail by altering the CofG forward/aft with lower and higher rates, throws etc but ended up moth balling the kit as a duff job so this article intrigues me. I will root it out of moth balls and inspect the wing section, for me it seem to answers a lot!!

Gary Skinner. 

Well Peter, with the aid of my lovely assistant the future ex Mrs Skinner all is revealed!!

The top of the wing is the top of the photograph showing the aileron servo control horn on the bottom to save any confusion. Both ailerons are driven by separate servos. I have also found that the problem of stalling in turns is exasperated at speed. There are two solution's in my opinion, First option is to fly inverted all the time until the last minuet on landing, the second involves a band saw and bin liner!!!

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34107/S6003509.JPG

Happy Landings!

Gazza.

Strange you should say that Peter I am currently restoring a Culver Dart have you heard of it!!!

I acquired the beast about a year or so ago and forgot I had it until a flying chum was looking for a model that would suit a wankel engine he has redundant. I immediately thought of the Darts round profile bulkhead and thought Hmnnnn I wonder. I have also found to my delight the RCM&E 2004 plan and write up that you originally wrote which will come in very handy to complete the beauty.

I will keep you up to speed with the progress and post photos.

I have forgotten about the CAP already!

Gazza.

It is in fact the OS .30 as you say Pete and after a trial run on the bench, indeed we now have serious reservations as to weather or not it would suit the Dart? There's loads of grunt like a .40 two stroke on a 9x6 prop but starts to struggle at around 10x7 upwards.

The wankel is an interesting engine and I feel sure in a lighter aircraft would be an excellent choice but like you say Peter not the Culver Dart. So were open to suggestions, I really want to go the four stroke route, I'm a sucker for OS so it will probably be a .52........ I have a .52 in a wot 4 that has a million hrs on it and still runs like a well oiled fiddler elbow!

Here's a picy.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/paulaandgazza/My%20Models/S6003502.jpg

Gazza.

I used a Super Custom (SC) 52 and that was perfect for the Culver Dart. That big cowl does need a fairly big propeller.

That is a smart looking model and the cowl is neat. I never saw the final plastic one or the canopy.

I found the Dart a lovely model to fly and very aerobatic. I took her along to one of out fying sites. The owner is a keen homebuilder and has several other people's lanes based there, like a mini Old Warden

This chap has designed a superb and highly acl=claimed two seat aerobatic biplane.

He looked at th Dart and said "You will never get that out of a spin.

I spent the rest of the afternoon plutting it into every sort of spin I could think of and watching it come out with no fuss or bother.

Dont you just love it when a plan comes together! I must say it does look a handfull but with all that wing area should float like a butterflie!! (Or sting like a bee!!) I will let you know Pete......... Watch this space....!!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/paulaandgazza/My%20Models/S6003504.jpg

Gazza.

Sorry Pete I got a bit carried away with the Dart and hijacked the thread subject. So I'm bouncing this back to the top. (Will feature the Dart's progress in a separate thread later mate)

Any one else had a problem with the .40 size Kyosho CAP 232 and it's challenging flying characteristics................?

Here's a picture of my burden, shame as its quite pretty really.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s188/paulaandgazza/My%20Models/IMGP1021.jpg

Gazza.