DSM Saphir

Posted by Andy Green on 25/11/2014 17:05:34:

Q * The fuselage is jig built by DSM, so I would expect it to be right,

* Sorry , Mr G, T'aint neccessarily so ...............

With no disrespect to anyone the " accuracy " of DSM kits could be err' a little variable.

Good idea to let the parts " stand " in the building room for a couple of weeks ( in the open not in the box ) before undertaking any assembly , in order to see if any warpage took place . I was told this was due to using very " green " balsa , but given the age of any existing kits you would think that they are by now well - seasoned ?

Again , 2 of my pre - built DSM fuz tried to imitate banana's !

I also used to let the wings stand ( in their cores) in the airing cupboard for a few days , weighing them before and after .

In any event , with DSM of that era their is / was a Lot of work involved , I built 3 x DSM and only one of the wing seats / bulkhead lineup was even remotely close .

Fag Packet instructions , but His trimming chart works as well now as it did then .

Long time ago now , but I seem to remember on at least one of them , setting the wing on it's seat for best fit , redoing the bulkhead / dowels etc. then resetting / cutting the tailplane to achieve correct incidence . rather than re- do the wing seat.

As you are well aware Mr G. - Bob Cotsford got it right .

Maybe not a good idea to finish the leading edge in the bulkhead vicinity beforehand ? but nobody I know builds the same way twice.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing . I am sure you will get there in the end .

BTW, I have no special expertise - these tips were freely given many moons ago by much better builders then Moi'

Cheers.

Quick point re the dowels 'missing' the leading edge - if this was by design I could understand it as that would leave the leading edge with it's full strength. I sometimes wonder why we like to drill straight through this one piece of wood right at it's point of maximum stress. By placing the dowels below the wing surface and embedding them in the bellypan front we leave the wing intact to resist G loads and the dowels still provide resistance in shear for negative G.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot to add , I personally had grevious problems with Tank - Height / Fuelling / Access using an inverted 4C , without a major redesign possibly involving a whole new fuz being built, which kind of defeats the point of purchase , do yer think ? , it was easier / better ( from my point of view) to revert to a 2C motor .

Again , others may have been more successful ?

Regards. Android

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, call it karma or devine intervention, but as soon as I posted this on the BMFA the site went down (Remember that), so it didn't sell.

And I'm really pleased about that. With a fresh eye and a clear bench the build has been completed. Still loads to do to complete.

Details as usual on my website.

Andy

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had one of these in '93. Have to agree the "Jig Built" fuz was a little wonky but once built it was a pussycat to fly, even with a pumped n piped OS61 up front. Went like a jet vertically, but had really good manners when slowed down. I'm thrilled to see the resurgance of interest in what I consider to be proper old school aerobats, its a refreshing change from the laser cut artf techno race, so common these days. Anyone got a tatty old Gangster 63 or similar cluttering their shed? Anything considered, as I have a 61 that needs an airframe.

Best regards

Gareth

The fuz in this kit was OK, even after all these years, maybe it did warp the right way and it made it straight.

Just realised I don't have any photos of the complete model, Martyn may have some flying shots from Montford Bridge.

Gareth have you looked on the UKCAA website Resources page - here you will find links to plans for a lot of the old stuff.

PS one of the best models I've ever flown.

Andy

Edited By Andy Green on 30/11/2015 16:28:55

Hi Trevor

Apologies! I forgot to caption the photos. You will be glad to know I got it right for the next newsletter though

Pete

Personally, I blame it all on the Shed Pixies. No matter what you do, they always move something so that something else gets warped. Occasionally,they also appear in the middle of the night and assemble things for you as well (usually not very well). Usually appear after you have had about 6 pints..

Can be thoughtful these shed pixies.

M