Red Arrows: Inside the Bubble

Advert

It was a very good insight, much better than what I have seen before, and of course it was much more up to date. Having been at FIA14 I would've seen the new Red 2 and Red 3 doing their stuff. An amazing team. It must be the pinnacle of any pilot's career to fly the Red Arrows, best display team in the world.

imageswm38m0ai.jpg

Posted by Budgie Daz on 28/07/2014 04:00:28:

It was a very good insight, much better than what I have seen before, and of course it was much more up to date. Having been at FIA14 I would've seen the new Red 2 and Red 3 doing their stuff. An amazing team. It must be the pinnacle of any pilot's career to fly the Red Arrows, best display team in the world.

imageswm38m0ai.jpg

All the more reason for the bean counters at Westminster to not get their way and give the reds the chop. I don't know what their annual budget is, but I suspect that given the advertising, UK trade promotion, recruitment etc it'll be a price worth paying. Trouble is those with control of the purse strings often appear to know the price of everything, but the value of nothing. If memory serves, the Arrows must have had their Hawks for well over 30 years now (changed from Gnats around 1980?), what is the fatigue life on the Hawk airframe? might be the excuse needed to not re-equip!

Haven't seen the programme yet, but I have a collection of videos that I've recorded from the TV over the last 30 years featuring the Red Arrows, so it'll be interesting to compare.

I've seen many aerobatic teams over the years (Frecci Tricolori, Patrouille de France, American Thunderbirds etc) and none come close to 'the reds' - mind you the Patrouille de France gave a magnificent performance at Duxford recently, I wonder if their government is tempted to save a few Euros and give them the chop as well...don't bet on it!

Edited By Cuban8 on 28/07/2014 07:54:22

Why all the worry over the chop and budgets?

We get to lose staff hand over fist, hire civilians at the drop of a hat, allow ex RAF persons to line their nests and moves sideways into their old job as a civvie, allow Officers to get hundreds of thousands in compensation for a lack of promotion despite them being not very good, whilst at the same time not giving those who need to do their jobs the proper kit because procurement costs thousands of pounds in paperwork to plan, allow government officials to spend hundreds of thousands on feasibility tests for no reason or for external consultations, but, rest assured, the Red Arrows are staying.

It was an enjoyable programme, but why do they feel the need to make false claims, such as this being the first real insider's look at the Red Arrows? I've seen real insider's looks at the Red Arrows and even have some on VHS cassette tapes. I'm sure that other viewers have also seen such documentaries.