Sanwa Conquest MK2 Battery Cover

George Midgley

Hi all, I am currently buiilding a transmitter using an Arduino and transplanting it into an old Sanwa Conquest MK2 as I like the retro look of it, I have stripped it down, refurbished and calibrated the gimbals and currently working on the Arduino with open TX , unfortunately I am missing the battery cover to the radio and wondered if any of you guys or gals have an old Sanwa Conquest knocking about or Just the battery cover as that is all I need, I keep an eye out on eBay but they all end up too expensive when all I want is just a battery cover!

Does anyone know where I might get one? or does anyone here have one the are willing to sell on for a small fee, of course I would pay post costs too, I have paypal or can use Barclays pingit or bank transfer.

Any help would be much appreciated - Thankyou.

Here is a pic of the radio for reference before I did anything to it.

Sanwa Conquest MK2

Advert

Here is a little bit of progress....... not very well sprayed as i'm not good at it :/ plus lots of dusty floaty bits in the garden + breeze etc but I don't have a shed and live in a small flat so out of choices lol anyway here they are - Front & Back (no battery cover as yet - I live in hope)

20140805_113229_01.jpg

20140805_113249_01.jpg

George, I love what you're doing here. This is one of the reasons I like the forum.

Both good and bad news. I have one of these. I excitedly searched my model bits cupboard and found a Sanwa Conquest, However, I found that whilst the radio is immaculate the battery cover is badly scarred. I don't know how, but it's scratched and looks as though it's had a soldering iron resting on it!

I may have another, I'll have a look at the weekend and come back to you,

regards,

Mr P

p.s. Sanwa equipment stood me in good stead for 25 years. I fly with Spektrum now and have had several failures here and there. Horizon are great at fixing them, but I wish they just wouldn't go wrong in the first place!

Hi Again Pete, it looks like the difference maybe because of camera lens distortion i'm not sure, I only have my mobile phone cam so close up images tend to distort the closer I get......hmm? well I guess rather than taking a chance I best just leave it then, I really do appreciate all your efforts and would like to thank you so much, I will wait in the hopes I find one or someone on this forum like your good self has a donor Conquest mk2.

Cheers Pete beer - All the best - George.

I still fly Sanwa 9 sets 7 converted to Corona and Frysky 1 genuine Sanwa 2.4 and one 35 meg for old times sake plus loads ofolder ones for spares.

Sanwa dont appearto have changed the stick gimbals for at least 25 years , so the old ones can be used to repair the new ones with the digital trim. When you drop them !! or like me when you heave as much up as poss to halt the inevitable death dive and break the damn stick off !!! ( doing blenders actually !!)

cheers

also got a Speccy for those BNF things !

Hey Mr P, Great to hear from you, its sad that after all Pete's efforts in sorting out his Vanguard to check the battery cover dimensions were pretty much in vain, as with Pete I appreciate your efforts too Mr P, I have renewed hope

It probably wouldn't matter about the scartches and burn as I could perhaps fill and sand them before painting, but would be better if another near perfect one could be found guess that makes me a tad lazy lol......I have lots more to do in my efforts to try and make a silk purse out of a sows ear lol so time is kind of irrelevant.

I reckon some folk use to rest their fags on their trusty old sanwa's then Ooops! dag nabbit I burnt my sanwa, the reason for this is the one I am currently using for my project had a burn on the top between the handle and the aerial but I sanded the dent flush with the top then primed the area filled it, sanded it smoothe then sprayed the case white,now you'd never know it was there lol......

Thanks for your comments too, makes my journey in hairbrained projects like this one all the better I will post regular updates of my progress as and when anything significant happens incase you want to follow things along.......may just put pics in my album.... don't know yet..... anyway thanks Mr P much appreciated...... I wait with fingers crossed........

All the best - George.

P.S. I understand what you are saying about the older stuff and that is the reason I chose the path of ressurection lol...... gimbals although old and not ball bearing seem to have lasted the test of time! although the ones I have did have a couple of age related issues I was able to repair or get around these, the newer gimbals seem to have poor quaity pots in them especially the mid to low price range ones .... and generally the build quality seems flimsy and somewhat cheaply made.......so yes this seems the right path to take, I was going to use an old futaba I have instead of the sanwa but sanwa had the slight edge on looks lol.....

Edited By George Midgley on 07/08/2014 22:14:20

@ Pete, Wow you must have some great stuff there, I do for some reason like the older vintage look, I sourced a joblot of tx's from everyones favourite auction site it had two Sanwa Conquests in the lot 1 futaba which nearly got the Sanwa treatment and would have except for the fact I happened to have 2 conquests so could use the one for spares as it had been a bit beaten up (broken throttle gimbal beyond repair and missing battery cover) made more sense and looked a tad better.

The Futaba may still get the treatment later on, I haven't decided yet, but I do like its very retro look with the old style look of 80's computer analogue joysticks lol again this little gem doesn't have a battery cover either lol but since it may stay in a box for quite some time it doesn't really matter......a few others were in the lot, here they are including the Futaba Ripmax that may get the treatment.

TX Lot

Futaba

P.S. There something about the old electronics smell I like too.....think it takes me back to my old electronics repairs days lol...... oh and incase you were curious to their cost? ......99p the lot! :-D the post cost the most!.

May have gone a bit Off Topic.... sorry MODS .....

Edited By George Midgley on 07/08/2014 23:52:43

Edited By George Midgley on 07/08/2014 23:54:17

• 2 weeks later...

HOORAY party I Now have a battery cover... I took a risk on buying a Sanwa Vangard from fleabay as the gimbals will be useful too anyway so got nothing to loose and the battery cover it fits live a glove.... bloody fantastic

Thankyou all for digging in your boxes of bits etc looking for me, its been much appreciated indeed.

Kind Regards to you all - George.