Powerbox question?

Scott Douglas 1

Guys

After a few years away from jet flying due to family/health issues I'm ready to return.

I have a JL 1/6th F16 on order and a Wren 160K Pro for it. I fly Futaba through a 14SG but I prefer JR servos so it's a mix of 8411/8511/8911 servos on the major surfaces.

Before, on my Boomerang, it was simple setup but with those servos/lights/afterburner ring etc I want to be as safe as possible but I'm not really up to spec on the latest powerboxes.

What would you recommend re batteries and a powerbox if I went down that route?

Apologies, Lee - it seems two mods each deleted one of your double post at the same time...embarrassed

Fortunately, we've found the text so here is Lee Smalley's contribution:

well use of a powerbox depends on servos, number and type, if you have multiple servos and each one is Hv and high torque then this amount of current can cause damage to some RX, most powerboxes divert this current away from your RX and so the only thing your rx does is receive the transmitted signal and distribute the signals to the appropriate channels whilst at the same time providing battery regulation and redundency (it depends what version you buy obviously)

on my boomer i have a digi switch but on my next two jets i will be investing in a powerbox evolution it will take care of most of the primary flight controls

have a look: **LINK**

Pete

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/08/2014 14:40:27

despite being a jr man i only really use Hitec servos, and so don't have the problem, but i would not be prepared to put JR servos (at Jr prices) on 5.9v because someone else knows someone who does and does not have a problem, i don't fancy blowing up a 50 quid servo and not being able to take it back !!

After some more deliberation and a few phone calls (where I was recommended to use Futaba servos!), I think I'll go with this lot...

Elevators - 2 x Futaba BLS177SV Brushless HV S-Bus2 Servo 0.11s/37.0Kg

Ailerons - 2 x Futaba BLS157HV Servo - High Voltage Brushless 0.14s/31.0kg

Rudder - JR DS8411HV 17.2Kg/0.15S High Voltage Servo

Seeing as they can all happily take 6v I'll feed them through a Powerbox cockpit SRS with a Cortex gyro.

What do you think?

Hi Scott, i have been using jr 8411, 8511 & 8915 through a powerbox cockpit srs regulated at 5.9v for the last two years without any problems in my hawk (and other planes) but can't say about gyro's as i dont use them. Couple of hawk pics in me album.

Steve

Posted by Lee Smalley on 19/08/2014 09:19:20:
Gyro!! Are you a girl or sommat why do you just get someone else to fly if for you all the time instead ��
cheeky Am I a girl? Well my wife doesn't think so (and she likes men!) cheeky
Nah, I was always going to fit one. I've had a couple of Yellow F16's in the past and still have a BVM D/F one in my hanger. None of them liked landing in a crosswind with that huge fin and at my club, the runways seem to be more often crosswind these days than not, plus they're only 30ft wide with little run-off.
Everything I've seen & read says the Cortex makes a huge difference so I figured "what the hell".. besides, what difference does another few quid make when you've spent this much crying

Posted by steve 1 on 19/08/2014 08:56:46:

Hi Scott, i have been using jr 8411, 8511 & 8915 through a powerbox cockpit srs regulated at 5.9v for the last two years without any problems in my hawk (and other planes) but can't say about gyro's as i dont use them. Couple of hawk pics in me album.

Steve

Cheers Steve, that's a sweet looking model. laugh

• 5 months later...

Guess what.. I still don't have the damned model.. takes apparently 4 months to decide they cant do a paint scheme (even though Uncle Bobs customers get theirs in 3 weeks angry). Supposed to ship now on 08th Feb.. We'll see...crying

Still, the rest of the gear is here.. 2x Futaba 7003 Rx's through a Powerbox Cockpit SRS, Powerbox IGyro SRS with JR8911's for the elevators, 8511's for the ailerons and 8411's for the rudder/steering... I know I thought Futaba servos but a friend had an issue with a couple recently in a heli and it put me off completely.