Technical Advice for Multi-rotor

Tim Riddoch

Afternoon All,

I am looking at traveling down the Multi-Rotor route and have a need for a Multi-Rotor that will need to cope with

1)5-10KG of weight for a 5 or so minute flight.

2)Be able to climb to around 30meters.

These are my brief as of yet I havent looked at motors rotors or any electrics yet. I come from a Nitro fixed wing background so this is a whole new world for me and any Information and advice would be great.

I look forward to hearing your replies

Tim

Advert

The best option would be sling mounted, if I'm honest Chris. Load wise I'm a part shareholder in an Airsoft site that is based in kent we have a 70 Acre site, with some very tall trees that this would have to clear. hopefully now i've explained MI6 won't be knocking.

As for materials I can get Carbon Fibre and Aircraft grade Aluminium and Fibre Glass. I have been looking at design Ideas and with what I want it would be best to go with a X design as this would give me the clearance I need below.

Edited By Tim Riddoch on 18/08/2014 19:41:01

Tim, I have over the last six months being setting up an UAV lab at work £67k worth! The payload weight you want to lift is crucial information. The heaviest we are lifting at the moment is a LIDAR system weighing 3Kg. To do this we are using Vulcan UAV Black Widow systems - also we are assembling something similar to their Mantis configuration which is particularly useful for preserving forward view when travelling forward as the front arms are cranked upward. You can look at Vulcan's systems here and here. The second site is better in many ways.

You might want to consider the fact that these are "big beasts" - 14" carbon props for example! And it might be a good idea if you are new to multirotors to gain some prior experience on something a bit more user friendly - I can recommend the DJI Flamewheel 550 as good intermediate size craft to cut your teeth on.

Are you planning on doing this for payment? If so remember you will, by law, require a CAA "Permit for Aerial Work" and to get that, in practice, you will have to undergo some formal training - although the training may not be an official requirement the likelihood of getting PFAW without is effectively zero I believe!

Finally, you may be interested to learn that I am writing an article for this year's RCM&E Autumn Special on our experiences in setting up the lab - it should contain a lot of detailed information that would be helpful to you - I hope!

BEB

Evening Gents,

1) BEB I look forward to reading the article and rests from your testing. I have looked at the vulcan systems and they are a very nice piece of equipment that is on my radar for possibilities. I won't be doing this for payment this is more personal fun.

2) after doing a little more research I think the "optimistic" 5-10Kg is a bit much after watching the X9 lift 33KG. I think a more reasonable amount weight will be 1KG. The payload will be a mixture of paintballs and plastic pellets.

Thank you all for your input so far

Posted by Tim Riddoch on 18/08/2014 19:36:36:

The best option would be sling mounted, if I'm honest Chris. Load wise I'm a part shareholder in an Airsoft site that is based in kent we have a 70 Acre site, with some very tall trees that this would have to clear. hopefully now i've explained MI6 won't be knocking.

I won't be doing this for payment this is more personal fun.

You're a part shareholder in a facility, which presumably has to make money to stay open. Therefore I would suspect that the CAA would say this is for work. It may be worth checking on it with them.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 19/08/2014 10:13:00

Hey Pilots!! I am building an HK Talon tricopter. I will be using the KK2 board. I also have an OrangeRX receiver/3axis gyro. I was thinking of putting the 3 axis gyro on the tricopter. My concern is that there would be a struggle between the KK2 and the gyro. Whatcha think?

I received my Tricopter from HK. Well while I was putting together the rudder motor/servo assembly, I discovered that I only received two ball connectors for the push rods on the assembly. I have sent messages to HK but nothing yet. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do. Without those two ball connectors, my build is dead in the water. I attached a pic to show what I mean.

Well I was going to add a pic, but I don't seem to know how to. sad

• 3 weeks later...

Well HK sent me two ball connectors. They are too big but I made them fit. Anyway I have a new mental glitch. I am 99% finished with my X900 HK Tricopter. As you are aware I'm sure, there is a servo that controls the rudder motor. Well where do I plug it in, the KK2 board or the receiver. Either way, there is only one rudder channel on the board and the receiver. How would they communicate with each other?indecision

Hi again. I have one more question. I have already built a quadcopter, and figured it out. On my tricopter, I cannot get it to arm the motors. I know there is a setting to make the lower right throttle stick arm the motors, but I cannot remember how. I read the KK2 instructions but i just don'r see it.

I'm having big problems with the rudder motor. I know that the rudder motor has to be canted a little to the right to compensate for torque. It seems that no matter which way I trim the rudder, when I throttle up, the torque rolls the motor to one side or the other. It almost seems like the servo cannot hold the motor in a given position. Is there a KK2 setting that i am missing?

Looking at the video the tail rotor turns towards the direction of yaw not against. Try reversing the tail servo. On the KK2 go to mix editor, select the rudder channel and change the value from + to -. Keep the same numirc value. ie if it is currently 50 change it to -50. Do not set servo reverse on the TX.