Google Chromecast

Dai Fledermaus

This is model flying related - honest.

During the Sumer of Sport we've recently had on our TV, SWIMBO and I were so fed up with it that we started to look around for some films we could watch, in the evening, by streaming them off the internet and we found Blinkbox. Now this suited us down to the ground because there is no subscription like there is with Netflix, you just pay for the film as you view it, typically £3.49.

However, at the time, the only way we could watch it was via our PC which I had to cart it downstairs and place on the coffee table. I soon got tired of that. Since then Google's Chromecast has added a BlinkBox app, so having bought one, we are now able to watch it directly on out TV and it works perfectly. Until the end of September you can buy it from Currys/PC World for £18, normally it's £30.00

So what has this got to do with model flying? Well in addition to a load of other apps like BBC i player, 4OD and Google Chrome, it streams You Tube, so yesterday I spent a very pleasant hour or so watching a number of model aircraft videos on You Tube including the Cocklebarrow Farm Meetings for vintage fans - both models and flyers it seemed.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 27/08/2014 09:20:11

Advert

I have the You Tube app in the Humax recorder box I use.

I've done the same and watched many model flying videos on You Tube, the offer of 'related' clips at the end of the clip you've just watched can become very addictive. "I'll just watch one more ... then half an hour later ... I'll just watch one more !!!

The Chromecast looks like a good option for TV's without built in app's.

Colin, I've been considering a Chromecast for a while, will probably pop into Currys on Saturday.

A couple of questions - what device are you using for your internet connection? I'd use one of my Android tablets.

Also, does the Chromecast power itself from your TV's USB socket or do you have to use the power supply. (I know the Chromecast is not a USB stick as it plugs into the HDMI input, but I believe the power lead has a USB connector)

Thanks

Hi folks, I picked one up at the weekend.

It does need a separate power supply and one is provided to plug into a 240v socket and has around 2m of lead terminating in a micro-usb plug that plugs into the device.

Do a bit of reading up first!

I bought it to see if I can get Sky Go onto a bedroom TV. You can't. Sky has not (and will not) update it's app to allow casting.

You can cast your entire desktop (or tablet top!) to the TV, but that is certain Android versions and Windows 7.

However, it's great for YouTube, BBC iPlayer and movie streaming from your phone or tablet. With the laptop, I can also cast the whole desktop and get the full Sky Go package.

Well worth £18!

Sorry to contradict the previous contributor but my Chromecast works fine getting it's power from the TV's USB.

I run from Android phone, iPad and a Windows 8 laptop and the desktop streaming function mentioned means that even if it is not specifically a Chromecast app you can generally find a way to run it on the TV.

Posted by Trevor Crook on 27/08/2014 13:22:33:

Colin, I've been considering a Chromecast for a while, will probably pop into Currys on Saturday.

A couple of questions - what device are you using for your internet connection? I'd use one of my Android tablets.

Also, does the Chromecast power itself from your TV's USB socket or do you have to use the power supply. (I know the Chromecast is not a USB stick as it plugs into the HDMI input, but I believe the power lead has a USB connector)

Thanks

Trevor, The other contributors have answered your question about the power supply. We run our Chromecast from a Nexus 7 android i pad, but as Filmbuff said you could use a mobile phone.

I forgot to mention that my son bought one because his inlaws from China are over here for an extended holiday. They don't speak any English ( not a word ) and he doesn't speak Mandarin. When my daughter in law has got fed up of translating for everyone, they stream some Chinese films and TV programmes via a laptop to keep them entertained in the evenings.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 27/08/2014 17:08:19:
Posted by FilmBuff on 27/08/2014 15:38:45:

Colin: Re Power, didn't realise that a HDMI socket also provides power. Thanks for the tip!

I don't think an HDMI does provide power FB, hence the Chromecast needing it's power via a USB power adapter, OR a powered USB socket in the TV

That's what I thought - but earlier post claimed the it was powered by the TV. I checked - and HDMI does not provide power.

My Chromecast is connected to an HDMI & TV's USB instead of directly into a mains socket. Setup instructions here.

I've been using it recently to view some of my Flickr photos on the TV - it's fine connecting via the PC but AFAICS there's no app to use it with our Galaxy Note tablet. OTOH watched some footy from BT Sport - from the PC it wasn't always streaming smoothly but it was excellent from the tablet. Our PVR & Blu-ray player can both stream from Youtube so don't use it for that.

Glad I read this. Was hoping it would allow me to stream sky movies via the laptop to my TV upstairs. Bought a very expensive Apple TV air thing box, but was annoyed to find it works with everything except Sky due to licencing issues.

Not really worth it for me, just need a cheaper option to get around having to buy multi room (not so much the cost, but I don't want some sky bloke drilling holes in my loft converision walls).

Simon