Mode for rotary?

Ponty Bri

I am an experienced fixed wing flyer, but have never flown helicopters. With fixed wing we have options of mode 1 or mode 2. Are there similar options with rotary? I would like to get it right from the start.. If it makes any difference I used Mode 2 for fixed wing.

Brian

Advert

The answer is most probably yes, but the majority of helicopter pilots I've seen fly mode 2. If you fly Mode 2 fixed wing then having the cyclic controls on the right stick with rudder and power/pitch on the left is the way to go. I started on fixed wing and can now fly a heli around (but I do keep it the right way up cheeky) and fly mode 2 on both.

Hi Ponty Bri, I flew them for years and was starting to get into serious airobatics. Inverted hovering , tic toks etc.....Mode 2 is the way to go. If you use that already stick to it. Its the mode most use. I agree with Frank Skilbeck.

Phil , the blades are very good I hear but there a wee bit small aren't they. As an entry level helicopter it may be where to start but stability comes with size in my eyes. if he has the money he would be as well going for a 50 size nitro or an Align **LINK**

It depends how much your budget is Ponty. Helicopters are a money pitt big time and be prepared to crash!! I had meany but don't let it put you off because once it clicks with you they are megga fun... If you go for a big one get it set up correctly because that will make flying it way easier. I joined a forum called Rc helliaddicts and they are the kiddies to keep you right. There is a wealth of info on there site...

A beginner set up on a helli you should set the main blade pitch to -4 deg at throttle stick back and +12 deg at full throttle. Mid throttle you will be looking at +6 deg of pitch for hovering. Thats a good starting point for beginners. Good luck fella

Jamie

Many people recommend a good sim, but that just doesn't work for me -- after 5 years flying a T-Rex 500 and 550 I still can't hover either of them on my Phoenix sim

My learning route, after 20+ years of fixed-wing, was a Twister Bell 47 coaxial. Any coaxial will do, so long as it's proper 4-function so that it replicates the controls of a collective pitch model -- i.e. 'throttle' (left stick) makes it ascend and descend, 'rudder' (left stick) makes the tail of the model move left or right, 'aileron' (right stick) makes the model sideslip left or right, and 'elevator' (right stick) lifts or lowers the tail to make the model go forward or backwards. Get your hand/eye/brain coordination sorted with a coaxial or a sim, then you'll be ready to progress to a 500-size CP heli.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 29/08/2014 09:09:25

My advice is Stick to the mode you know. I fly fixed wing mode1 , when i learned to fly Helis i was told by my local Heli club that i must fly learn to fly mode 2. When asked why? the club expert could not give me a definitive answer. So i followed my instincts and much to the dismay of the club expert i learned to fly helis mode 1 and was doing circuits within a week nose in ect and competed at F3c within months.

Moral of the story if you fly mode 1 Fixed Wing do the same with Helis as when you have to react without thinking your brain naturally slip into that mode .

Sam

This really is an old chestnut........there is no superior mode or a mode better suited to F/W or rotary. The mode that a flyer uses will be dictated by the mode used by his instructor (some people have changed between modes for various reasons, but very few).There have even been cases of lone flyers teaching themselves and making up their own mode and becoming very proficient pilots. A very talented chap in my club can fly equally well on either M1 or M2 although I don't know how he manages to get his brain around it.

IIRC, Hanno Prettner is a mode 1 flyer and Curtis Youngblood went his own way with a custom tranny that included rotary controls on the sticks.

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/08/2014 09:32:56