Hellooooo

Slopetrashuk

Hi,

I'm new to the sport-never flew but built a HI Boy Trainer 12 years ago which I am buying radio and engine gear for. Here in ireland not to many shops or enthusists.

Question; which model show to go to in England which is worth a boat and car trip from Dublin?

"Returning to RC model flying after a break of about 30 years! Boy! there is so much of a change!
Starting off with a World Models Cessna Skylane E.P. Would be interested to know of anyones experience with this model."

Terry, I've heard good things about it and I believe our review was very positive, too. You'll need the December 2005 issue if you're keen to take a look. Tel. 01689 899200 and ask for Customer Services if you'd like a copy run off. I've flown the Cub from the same range and it was a super aeroplane - not sure it would make a very good trainer though. I'd have to fly it again to remind myself!

Thank you for the input Graham. Found some reviews including Dec 2005 RCME. Not a complete novice but don't want to dive straight in with a scale concorde. (Although I was involved on the fullsize construction!)

I would appear I'm getting confused with Terry Pearce so I will have to change my handle! Not only similar name but also similar profile!

Hello everyone.

Hello to my country neighbour Grahame from Greece. I spent my honeymoon in Greece. It has very much in common with us Maltese.
Ian Bottell, the Seagull Boomerang is a bit on the heavy side. I suggest either Thunder Tigre Easy Trainer or Irvine Tutor 40. Both models are very good, much better than the Boomerang.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My simplex is pretty much ready to fly except for sticking the tail on and getting the pushrods sorted. My advice: brushed is too heavy (especially with NiCds). I'm using a Tornado 3s 1050mah LiPo from Over-tec and http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_59&products_id=880 for the motor and http://robotbirds.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3_106&products_id=1373 for the ESC - it can even play music whilst you fly!
However, it's still 15oz, although I did use 4mm balsa for the bottom sheet to make it more resiliant to knocks.

• 1 month later...

Hello Andy.
Can you or anyone else help please!
I have just started flying and am getting lots of conflicting advice.
First a quick one. Mode one or mode two? (I am right handed and tend to think mode 2 is the more natural for me. Are there any persuasive arguments out the in favour of mode 1?)
Second question. Ignoring the throttle for the moment, I am aware that the primary flying controls are the elevator and ailerons, and that the rudder is used little, if at all, when flying - mostly being used when the 'plane is on the ground.
The problem I have is that my trainer is a rudder and elevator only type - quite common I believe.
Thinking about this,I feel that in order to practice using the correct flying controls instinctively, I should bind the rudder to the right stick in the mean time and use it as a pseudo aileron. In theory, this should mean that I can progress more smoothly onto an aileron model when I am more experienced. Some people have said yes, some people have said I am mad and just to muddy the waters even further, some have suggested I switch hobbies.
I have scrolled through numerous posts and searched many mags but been unable to find any advice on this problem.
Can anyone out there help?

Laurence.

Hi Laurence

and welcome. The majority of flyers do use mode 2 although that's not to say that it's better, it just seems preferable to the majority. If someone is teaching you to fly then you'll find that he wants to teach you using his mode so be aware of this.

The rudder is, as you say, mostly used on the ground with a trainer but as you progress you'll find that it has more uses than this. Depends on the model though.

With a rudder/elevator model (which I staterd with as well) then , yes do put them both on the right hand stick.

Tell us more ...what model? are you joining a club (best way) ?
David.

Hi Laurence, welcome to the world of fun :)
I use mode 2 simply because that is how my tx was set up when I bought it. Im left handed btw and I have found no real problems with it. I have to echo what David has already said - if your not already a member of a club then do join one. Ive only been doing this for a couple of months and am very much a beginner. As for how to use the rudder your instructor will advise you as to what is best, (ailerons are so much easier to start with). It shouldnt prove to difficult for you as the instructor will take in the limitations of your plane whne he teaches you so for now dont worry about how to use the rudder - just do as your instructor teaches. Good luck and keep us informed.
antony

Hi Laurence,

You are quite right to put the rudder on the right hand stick for a rudder/elevator model - the rudder is the primary turning control in that set up and elevator is used to keep the nose up and tighten the turn.

When you progress to ailerons the ailerons induce bank and then the elevator is used to turn the model in a similar way to the rudder/elevator set up, and the rudder control is then moved to the left stick.

~I started with Mode 1 and changed to mode 2 as i found it more like flying a full size sailplane with ailerons and elevator on the same stick. Sadly there's no direct feedback when flying models.

Hello David, Antony and Malcolm.
David asked for a few details but they seem to vanished into the either so I will try again.
I'm from Hawke's Bay, New Zealand which is an important wine and fruit growing area due to the kind climate. The climate is also good for flying planes... I used to build and fly free flight sport and gliders and am just starting out again after many years away from the sport. The changes are immense!
Having just retired, I now have some time to indulge myself. I have got a GWS Beaver which is proving to be amazingly robust and a Spectrum DX7 transmitter.
A Mountain Models Cessna 180 is half built.
I fly with the help of some experienced local guys at a nearby park, but intend to join the local club fairly soon.
Hope this is what you wanted!
Laurence.

Laurence,
You will find there are a lot of folk on this forum that are returning to the hobby after many years. Im one of them. when I was a kid I used to fly rubber band powered. I did attempt to fly gliders for a while but without a club my enthusiasm didnt last long. Now Im on to powered planes with a good instructor and Im loving every minute of it. If you get a chance check out the Begginers forum and in particular a thread called beginners as you will find a lot of us are supportying each other with our experiences. So come join us there. :)
Antony