Folland Gnat Build in black epp foam

Mark Kettle 1

The other day when Steve entered into his build blog "might not finish on time last day 10th Oct" -next meeting on the 11th and 12th Oct - I personally message him and asked if any chance it would good because we could fly as a Gnat pair.

Seeing his plan in the back ground within his balsa, blue foam and ply creation, these sneaky view's around the construction spurred me on.

So here's the patterns and result.

gnat body sides cardboard.jpg

...these patterns layout give me my basic shape that will need sanding when glued together....

top side pattern -sides and engine pod.jpg

....fuselage section as drawing...

gnat foam contruction.jpg

...wing platform and sections.....

wing pattern and layout.jpg

...fin and sections for cutting it....

fin section and shape.jpg

...tailplane and elevator ......

tailplane patterns.jpg

after cutting parts out and gluing together with UHU glue, contact adhesive and a bit of sanding you get this......

folland gnat epp 35 inch.jpg

...ailerons hadn't been cut out at this stage, when cut out skimmed of 3 mm of the foam to put in the cross weave hinge in and the balsa firms up the control surface....

44 inch span epp foam avro vulcan 3 mm light ply facing and hard hinge point in one.jpg

gnat epp foam.jpg

...at this stage the fin was wrong and looked like a tornado fin, so study a few pictures .....

gnat new fin side view.jpg

All is the gears in two small servo's in the wing and elevator servo and just needs covering in spackle, pva and brown paper and choose a colour scheme.

under side of gnat.jpg

gnat fin wrong.jpg

...old shot with wrong shaped fin. It is 37" wing span and 25 oz in weight with radio gear in decoration will add a little to that. 

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 23/09/2014 07:05:49