CA Glue

Near enough

Never really used CA before I started my first build.Its a Flair Magnatilla and I was ok to use pva type glue until I got to the wing ribs.These are soooo warped the only way I could get anyway near straight on the cap strips and spars was to use CA. Next couple of days I had a terrible sore throat and just felt off,had to be the glue.I see this is a well known prob some get.I have seen odourless mentioned but no real answer to if it rids the reactions in some or all cases.Even if there are better brands than others.any feed back would be great.I have only done one wing panel so far and don't know what else will work.

Advert

I had the same problem and using odourless foam safe cyano seemed to cure it completely. I used Bob Smith Industries Super Gold as it was the only one I could find at the time which was available as either thick or thin. I wanted the thin stuff for instant joints and furry hinges. It is expensive and it takes slightly longer to go off than the regular stuff but otherwise works a treat. Don't know if it would work on EPO foam but it's great on wood.

I have a problem with CA's and the odourless ones are no different for me.

I always wear a full face mask (B&Q) and now never have a problem with any of the glues or balsa dust. Only downside is that it is a pain - but no more so than having to wear glasses to see properly!

Trouble is VA, it can suddenly creep up on you! I had no problem with CA until I had a problem. Had been using it for at least a year with zero issues before it gradually started to cause problems and now, it only takes a small wiff of the stuff to give me a very bad reaction.

With regard to the way I was using the CA, I was just tacking here and there to hold the rib straight,or as near to.then later I was using that liquid/super ali[phatic along the join. But I did notice that when I tacked the ribs they looked ok,i then used the superphatic at rib/cap strip join area BUT the next day the ribs were wavy.not that way before the superpahtic was used!

Hi Near enough , CA used with open windows by mandatory of eye, nose and mouth protection, and certainly do shorter period of several minutes.
It should work with a slightly larger distance..I know this is killing modeler satisfaction,but that's the price of modern adhesives...sad

Cheers

Jo

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 23/09/2014 20:46:01

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 23/09/2014 20:47:33

Same here ... been using CA for years no problem then suddenly now I only need a slight whiff of the stuff and it makes me sneeze and I'm reaching for a tissue. Makes me feel like I've got a bad cold.

What works for me when I'm using CA, and I use it regularly, is firstly to keep my workshop well ventilated as best as I can, as well as wearing a carbon activated mask - 3M 9913 FFP1 Face Masks- These are not the heavy canister type, they are like the paper folding masks with elasticated straps. Much more pleasant to wear than the heavy canister type. You can buy them single or in a box of 20 (just Google it). They can be expensive, but I got mine in a box of 20 for a bargain on ebay. If kept clean, one mask can be used many times, so a box of 20 should last a while. Worth it in the long run.

Ronaldo

A decent odourless CA has no fumes so should not irritate your eyes breathing in any way,

A carbon mask with the correct rating will cut out the fumes from a standard type CA glue, or other chemical if needed

The best way to act with any chemical.... ( even if it seems safe! ) is to lower the concentration in the air anyway, mask or no mask, irritated by something or not

Most labels say use in well ventilated conditions......