Does Your Club Make A Charge To Train New Flyers?

Dai Fledermaus

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 24/09/2014 21:05:11:

in one of the clubs im in one bloke was charging for teaching but also for helping newbies to set planes up in my opinion disgusting

..................................................................................................................................

hello Ben-I've sent you a Pm asking which club you are a member of that charges etc. ...for tuition and model setting up? .........

ken Anderson ne...1 ..... curious dept.

Advert

BEB......as your post about your club not charging/tuition etc...I've found that over the years some of our senior members- some who have left the hobby when they found it all too much for them etc....are quite happy if some one 'proficient' stands with them for reassurance and can get them out of trouble....and in our club there are flyers of varying skill's....who fly all shapes and sizes of models......the thing is they all enjoy the camaraderie interjected with trying to defy gravity with bits of wood....

ken Anderson ne....1.....camaraderie dept.

Posted by ben goodfellow 1 on 27/09/2014 10:13:53:

i seen that .. dont you believe me , i think theres a coc on here saying about naming and shaming fly low .........

............................................................................................................................................

hello ben-no mention whatsoever about 'not believing you'...don't know how a pm to me... will breach the COC...as I said I'm curious and that's all there is too it..

ken Anderson...ne...1......still curious dept.

I totally agree Ken about helping out a "senior member", who perhaps has been an active independent flyer but now feels happier with someone - shall we say - "spotting" for them. No problem at all with that.

The one or two individuals I'm referring to though don't fall into that category. They are middle aged and perfectly fit and well - they just don't want to take the responsibility of flying their own models! Now, yes in an ideal world it would be fine to just let them stay on a buddy lead forever - flying circuits whilst someone else does the take-off and landing bits. And don't get me wrong - that is exactly what we do! And with good grace. But what I'm saying is with a fixed number of instructors there are only so many people like that a club can carry - otherwise new learners, who are keen to progress, simply have little access to an instructor.

BEB

BEB..apart from one lad who is our trainer/instructor/safety rep-most of the other regular members help out with 'anyone' who is a member and want's assistance be it-maiden flight or learning...when I joined our club (last century)..... it was the same then....make a friend and then pester them to help you get up in the sky---- I think that sub consciously they new who was going to need the extra effort etc......even now we have people of different abilities who need a bit longer to grasp the fundamentals...the youngin's are the boy's who take to it like ducks to water.......the more mature member's(like old carry)who wont mind me saying are the one's who are more cautious.etc........and need a bit encouragement to attempt a roll or loop ....and on most day's they are successful etc... and all Free gratis-no charges whatsoever......it work's out at aprox 3p a day to fly at our site......

ken Anderson ne...1.......free flight dept.

At my club (Caterham and District MFC) we make no charge and tuition/help is freely given.

Recently a new member turned up with a Hi-boy that wasn't quite fettled and the club trainer was not there, I offered the use of my Wot 4 foam-e with buddy box setup, the new member was very grateful and my reply was that I was taught for free in a similar manner many years ago and it was just my chance to return to model flying the favour I was given. BTW if the club chairman had stuffed in my Wottie it was, A. probably not savable and B. something to rib him about for many years to come!

Said new member is now getting on fine in the club.

I don't really instruct as I am not a qualified instructor (one day, maybe) but I have given a few people "taster flights" and taught others outside the club.

I feel that in these cases you reap more than you sow.

Shaunie.