Two more FrSky Txs in the pipeline

Chris Bott - Moderator

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/04/2016 19:26:58:

I have no doubt that OpenTx (with new bits!) will be available for the Horus - but I really do doubt that the Tx will ship with it. It will ship with FrSky's menu system - and I think that's a pity.

I am sure you are correct. This is all about perceptions - they know they will not get newcomers from the big, established brands with an interface that is (incorrectly IMO) labelled as "hard" or "different".

Instead they are going for a more recognisable canned mixer, menu driven style interface. Having handled a beta I think they have an awful long way to go; it felt miles off the restrictive but easy to use offerings from Hitec, Spek, Graupner et al. I can understand why they are doing this, but I suspect there is embarrassment on the way - if OpenTX is a polished as it looks come launch how many of the early adopters are going to stick with FrTX? And if that's the case, how many Futaba, JR and Spek users will jump ship to a set with decent hardware but immature, badly documented firmware?

Advert

Ours is not to reason why Andy!

I I had to guess I would say that Taranis is an OpenTx system - always has been. There is no alternative system.So why not ship with version 2.1.X?

Horus is a new system - and as Matt says above - we all feel that FrSky have decided (rightly or wrongly) that they will never crack the mass market until they pander to the conventional view that Tx's are "programmed" by selecting fixed options from menus! So they will pander.

BEB

I suspect that warranties and fit for purpose will be guiding FrSky's decisions.

They cannot guarantee a system they have no control over. Even the latest Taranis Plus Transmitters have the FrSky proprietary operating installed (or at least the one that I upgraded!)

If a user changes something then at least they have the cover of 'not as supplied' if it all goes pear shaped

Martyn