Two more FrSky Txs in the pipeline

Chris Bott - Moderator

Advert

Wow! I'm gob-smacked! It looks gorgous but more importantly the spec is amazing!

Built in GPS and WiFi, Bluetooth enabled, voice recognition - so now we really can tell "Texas Trudie" to shut up!

And this "9 axis sensor" that "lets you do anything you can imagine" - what's a 9 axis sensor when its at home? I thought that unless you were a theoretical physicist (and most of them are barking mad in my experience!) the universe only had 6 dof's!

I also notice they are talking about an "easy programming" interface and OpenTx.

These guys are seriously on the ball. If they can get this out at the sort of ultra-competative price point they have sold at before - they are going to do some serious damage to the interests of other manufacturers. Be scared gentlemen - be very scared!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/09/2014 23:14:57:

And this "9 axis sensor" that "lets you do anything you can imagine" - what's a 9 axis sensor when its at home? I thought that unless you were a theoretical physicist (and most of them are barking mad in my experience!) the universe only had 6 dof's!

BEB

From what I vaguely remember complete intertial control is calculated using a three-axis gyro, a three-axis accelerometer and a three-axis magnetometer (compass), giving nine degrees of freedom.

Further degrees of freedom can be defined by barometric pressure (incremental altitude) and GPS (absolute position).

Edited By Andy.I on 01/10/2014 07:08:33

These guys are seriously on the ball. If they can get this out at the sort of ultra-competative price point they have sold at before - they are going to do some serious damage to the interests of other manufacturers. Be scared gentlemen - be very scared!

BEB

I'm shaking in my boots! wink

Good looking tx's at last (ok I admit Futuba's are quite ugly) - but what is that horrible long thing on the side for? It looks ridiculous.

Rich

It's a wrist support. If you search on the the RCG FRsky thread, you can see some pre-production models and renders of both that were realeased about 12 months ago. Horus was scheduled to be shown at the (Dallas? or Texas..I checked - it's Chicago) October Hobby Fair. The large screen on the Horus is meant to not only be used for programming etc. but also as an FPV monitor.

Edited By Andy Meade on 01/10/2014 08:46:56

TBH the X9E is the ugliest thing I've seen for a while. It looks like it was built in the 1970's. I feel quite unwell looking at it. crook

The Horus looks much better and it will probably do extremely well against other systems (who am I kidding, it'll wipe the floor with them!) but I'll reserve judgement till I see a proper photo!

Edited By John F on 01/10/2014 08:51:23

The rumour is (and has been for a while) that these will be unveiled at the Chicago Model Fair, which is tomorrow to Sunday.

Let's hope we get to see some photos of fully finished and working transmitters.

If all they have is some computer generated 3D model, then we may have a long wait for the real thing.

Spec on the Horus looks amazing, and I read that the screen may also be of use for FPV.

All subject to change:

Aluminum CNC base gimbals with high resolution magnetic angle sensors
High resolution IPS screen (800*480), touch operation supported
Bluetooth 4.0
Voice broadcast and recognition
Inbuilt 9-axis sensor, do everything you can imagine
Inbuilt GPS and WiFi
FrSky OS installed, easy for beginners and expansible for advanced users
Support open source firmware, such as openTX

very nice-looks like the end of the line for the big names-that are accompanied by the Big price's......well done to the new boys---I know people in our club who have paid a lot of money for TX's - now they are going to be paper weight's by the time these boys take over.......

ken Anderson ne...1 .consumer dept.

Posted by Andy.I on 01/10/2014 07:04:41:

BEB

From what I vaguely remember complete intertial control is calculated using a three-axis gyro, a three-axis accelerometer and a three-axis magnetometer (compass), giving nine degrees of freedom.

Further degrees of freedom can be defined by barometric pressure (incremental altitude) and GPS (absolute position).

Edited By Andy.I on 01/10/2014 07:08:33

Mmmmm, well strictly speaking no - not 9 dof's. 9 variables on 3 axes and 6 dof's. The 9 there are needed partly because you can't generate displacement from acceleration without creating unknown constants of integration - so you need the extra information provided by an over defined system. So although 9 variables - only 6 unknown dof's, defined on 3 axes. Unless we're going into hyper space! "Its a transmitter Jim, but not as we know it" smile

But that aside - why would you want an inertial navigation system inside a Tx?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/10/2014 14:55:50

The Horus antena/handle arrangement looks very Blue Peter. The antena in particular appears vulnerable to being easily damaged.
Is there any reason that the antena can't be completely routed inside the handle if the handle was made as part of the main Tx body's plastic moulding ? IIRC Phil Green did just that using a hack module in a Futaba Tx.