analogue and digital frame rate

john melia 1

Advert

Hi John. some conventional servos will be ok at a higher framerate, I checked the 645 datasheet and it doesn't mention maximum refresh rate.  I can see four options -
1) Swap the Hitecs out
2) connect an ammeter in series with your battery. Leave the wing servos off. Monitor the current at 11ms and at 22ms through all elevator servo positions, with & without a load. If at 11ms you notice they are drawing more current, then they will burn.
The problem is with the H bridge at the output of the servo amplifier - if as is likely the internal pulse stretchers happen to run over 11ms, they could overlap, enabling both high and low sides of the H bridge and effectively short the battery.
3) go to 11ms but fit a pwm framerate divider inline with the Hitecs.
4) leave everything as it is. Will you notice 11 milliseconds? You know that with some systems the framerate isn't the information rate, ie at 11ms they just send the same width pulse twice as often?

Cheers
Phil

PS I do wish people wouldn't call conventional servos 'analogue'. 
I use analogue servos with my Staveley Analogue propo system. They don't have pulses at all, a proportionally varying voltage controls the servo position.

Edited By Phil Green on 02/11/2014 18:24:44

While I was at the field my mate was watching me going through some pre flight checks , and he commented on how slow the elevator seemed to be moving (hs 645mg x 2 ) , he asked if they were digital or analogue servos ,I told him analogue , he said if they all had been digital I could swap to 11ms on my tx ,

I tried the 11ms and the speed of the elevator servos did seem to be quicker , but as I stated earlier i wasnt sure if any damage would be done , so I put it back to 22ms , could have all been in my head , but the others watching said they looked to be moving quicker .