installing servos

Advert

Do you mean the rubber grommets and brass liners ? Bushes are often referred to as bearings and vikky verkky and they are usually fitted in the output shaft hole in the top casing.

So......if you mean the mounting grommets / bushes and liners, then the grommets fit in the holes in the case flanges, and the brass liners fit in so that the flared end of the liner is at the bottom.

Do NOT overtighten - it defeats the object. Heres a piccy of the right way to fit 'em

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/25339/servo.jpg

Well at least you admit it Eric

In all honestly I very much doubt it makes a lot of diffference which way in they go, and these days with ARTFs, leccy stuff and mini servos beiing comparitively cheap as chips many people just glue the blinking servos in and buy new ones as needed

I always thought the eyelets were there for two reasons -

to stop the mounting screw squashing the grommet flat or pulling through the grommet

and

to stop the screw's thread cutting through the rubber grommet with engine vibration.

My reasoning for putting the eyelets in from the top is that this way round you don't need the flanged-head screws, which I never seem to have enough of.

• 1 month later...

Hi all.

When there was only one size of servo we always had the grommets to stop the little box from getting damaged from vibes but all of a suddenly they came out with Minne and micro servos and all you get is solid bolted up little boxes so what has changed, the price they are so cheap that it is of little concern to how long things last. I have got servos that have lasted 20 years of flying, but the little ones quite often only a mater of hours I rest my case.

good one Owen.

The mini and micro servos were really developed to meet the needs of the then rapidly growing electric flight market, and as vibrations are considerably less, and of course alcking in messy fuel etc, servos could be built to less exacting standards, and did not really need the vibration dampening of rubber ountings.

Futaba advise you not to bother wrapping up the new 2.4 receivers with protective foam, just stick them to a convenient bulkhead with velcro or such. Apparently these new recievers are pretty much vibration proof. Perhaps the same can be said for modern servos.

The reason for their recommendation is to do with heat dispersion, but seems a little OTT to me. However, generally speaking I would agree - SMT and so on has made the likelihood of loose conxns etc less likely, and many foamy models have the servos glued straight in - mine have all been fine......cant remember the last time I had a dodgy servo actually.