Which Kit

trebor

And I think the Acrowot is too small / less agile compared to your Revolver - I had an Acrowot built up from the kit some years ago (pics in my album). I have the smaller 50 version Revolver that I enjoy very much but not as much as my Sebart Katana

Jon

Edited By Jon Laughton on 11/11/2014 23:00:55

Edited By Jon Laughton on 11/11/2014 23:01:27

Advert

Looking at the Wot 4 there is different models to choose from indecision the classic, the mk 3 also both have deluxe versions. Motor size ? would I be better getting the larger so Id get more use out of the plane rather than outgrowing the small motor at least this way I could have some fun with it once I get the hang of flying.

Not decided yet weather to go electric or petrol, my nearest club has longer hours of available flying time for electric. I suppose its a noise thing not sure. What flying time do you get with batteries ?

My next question might be radio gear brand, there is allot to take in and there is lots of terminology like LOS and FPV thinking Is there a section of explanations for the beginner.

Hi Trebor, I suppose all this goes to show that there is a huge amount of choice, and not that many really duff planes out there.

A lot depends on the care that you take in the build. Re the above, the bigger the better, because a big plane seems to fly slower, and you can see what is going on more easily. Around 60" is a good minimum.

Re electric or IC, they really are very different. I find electrics difficult, because I can't see what is happening, so I need test equipment to tell me. Leccy is certainly more reliable (they don't stop in mid flight like IC can and often does)

It is probably a noise thing at your club, and you should easily get a ten minute flight from a good Lipo.

If you ask about radio, you'll get the same difference of opinion that you get re an aircraft. I use spectrum, because recievers are less expensive than many others and its easy to set up

stick at it ernie

Posted by trebor on 12/11/2014 07:39:32:

My next question might be radio gear brand, there is allot to take in and there is lots of terminology like LOS and FPV thinking Is there a section of explanations for the beginner.

I think we've all found that getting started is a very steep learning curve as there is so much to take in but we've managed it somehow. It's worth having a browse through the thread headers of many of the sections here as they will almost certainly answer many of your questions.

We have a fairly comprehensive glossary of aeromodelling terms which may be of some help. In the Electric Flight section, there are many threads covering all the aspects of leccy flight, such as in this one.

The Radio Gear section may answer a few of your questions, too. If in doubt, ask - there's plenty of help available heresmile

Pete

Hi Trebor

See my review of the DB Mascot. I bought one after I trashed a Seb Art Shark. As others have said the Seb Arts are all fabulous flyers but very very difficult to repair. I finally binned my Mascot last week after a DX6i transmitter brown out while doing inverted circuits with it at 20 feet altitude. Ok, I know, always fly at least 2 mistakes high. The Mascot lasted me 5 years and really was an all weather machine. It looks much better in the flesh than the DB websites picture. Have a look at my photos. Even after its death dive it could have been repaired with a new front end only but I had a low wing kit sitting waiting for attention so I did'nt bother.

P.S. After sales service from Horizon Hobbies (Spektrum) was unbelievably good as usual. I got a fully serviceable tranny and receiver back a week after posting it and no charge!!

Edited By Philflyer on 12/11/2014 10:35:53

Hi terbor

Before you buy any radio gear, it might be wise to see what your club uses, particularly the instructor, that way you will be sure to have the compatibility to buddy up your radio to his (dual control) that way you stand far less risk of returning your plane to kit form while flying

Other points to think about before investing are it can be false economy to but a low spec radio, you will soon outgrow it and fins its limitations annoying, I would advise getting a 6 channel programmable set - you wont use or understand a lot of the features at first but as you progress you will

If you are a totally novice flyer forget all about WW1 types and stick to a high wing slow flying trainer, if you are like me past the first flush of youth the bigger the better (within reason!) but don't forget you will have to store and transport the thing to and from the field

If this is your first plane, then keep to lightweight models (they survive crashes better) and if its a foamie then one that spares are easily available for

But never forget rule 1 - Have fun

Posted by Philflyer on 12/11/2014 10:28:57:

Hi Trebor

See my review of the DB Mascot. I bought one after I trashed a Seb Art Shark. As others have said the Seb Arts are all fabulous flyers but very very difficult to repair. I finally binned my Mascot last week after a DX6i transmitter brown out while doing inverted circuits with it at 20 feet altitude. Ok, I know, always fly at least 2 mistakes high. The Mascot lasted me 5 years and really was an all weather machine. It looks much better in the flesh than the DB websites picture. Have a look at my photos. Even after its death dive it could have been repaired with a new front end only but I had a low wing kit sitting waiting for attention so I did'nt bother.

P.S. After sales service from Horizon Hobbies (Spektrum) was unbelievably good as usual. I got a fully serviceable tranny and receiver back a week after posting it and no charge!!

Can you point me in the right direction for the review, had a look for it but cant find it.

Posted by trebor on 12/11/2014 11:25:54:
Posted by Philflyer on 12/11/2014 10:28:57:

Hi Trebor

Can you point me in the right direction for the review, had a look for it but cant find it.

There is this build log.... **LINK**

Thanks for all your advise chaps, I did spend some money and bought a Wot trainer. I thought about building one but the idea of getting going in the end got too much so its a nearly built one to start with. Still need a few bits and maybe beef up the chassis if thats the right word round by the wheel mount. Do I do a build thread and show myself up as a div laugh

img_1941.jpgStill need a few bits and I had the opportunity to buy a flight box at the local swap meet with battery and power board for £25. Even had flashing lights on it. I,m kicking myself now.

Good Choice trebor

Before you go near any glue sit down and read the destructions slowly, try and visualise how the structure is built up (dry fitting the parts together helps) - so when you actually get to stick some bits together you know where its going and why!

If you have a shed glorious man cave you might want to rig up a test stand for the shiny new motor of run it up a little, get the knack of starting it and still being able to count to 10 with your fingers afterwards - if you haven't got one get a starter or a chicken stick/chicken finger before playing with it!

A build log may help as a place where you can ask questions and get an answer quickly

A very light sanding to take off the sharp edges of the moulding is OK but take it easy. It's worth checking all props for balance for, although most are pretty close, a tiny difference in weight can have a big effect on vibration levels.

Good to see you've started a thread on the WOT trainer, so it's probably best to ask the questions over there, now you've got your model choice sorted thumbs up

Pete