Eric Brown

Cuban8

Advert

Percy. He, at times, was quite a naughty boy. If you listen to his Desert Island discs you will hear him recalling looping an aircraft through the arches of a bridge!! Some mental agility enabled him to believe that the powers that be didn't mean HE could not fly the Komet. I think they were aiming to stop RAF personnel but he was Fleet Air Arm and anyway goodness knows who he was actually working for at the time. So, he did push his luck both with the aircraft, and the brass, to fly a Komet under its own power. See "Wings on my Sleeve" pages 110/112. wink

Posted by Percy Verance on 14/11/2014 15:20:31:

He's just one of those characters Colin. I'm sure I could sit and listen to him all night if I ever met him.

He was all for test flying a captured ME 163 Komet under it's own rocket motor until the powers that be stopped him! He did get to fly one of course, but only on the glide after being towed up. He said afterwards that although he disagreed with his superiors decision, at least he understood why they arrived at it!

I seem to remember reading that he did fly the Komet under power.

Percy. I have 3 of his books two of which I have not managed to open as yet. I suspect however that the one I have read "Wings On My Sleeve" will likely be the definitive summery of his life. It may well be in your local library and is currently available on eBay for less than £7 and I, and I believe Colin, can thoroughly recommend it.

It's worth noting chaps that although "Wings on my Sleeve" was written many years ago, he up-dated it not that long ago, probably including some things he couldn't say before. For that reason I down-loaded it on Kindle.

Quite recently he produced a new book on the M52 and if you really want to know what went on and what a tragic mistake was made by the post-war Labour government in cancelling it, then read the book. I down-loaded that on Kindle as well.

There is also a DVD of Eric Brown talking about his life and times. I have a copy and it is not to be missed. LINK

I also had the opportunity to hear Eric speak about flying the German jets earlier this year at the Cambridge Branch of the RAeS. He stood and spoke without notes and then answered questions for well over an hour. His memory was quite amazing but then again I don't suppose you forget the day you entered Auschwitz and interviewed the male and female camp commandants or spent 30 mins chatting to Goering.

Colin, I'm still upset about the TSR2 cancellation and can always find something to moan about without reading about the M52 saga. The fact that there are no cheap copies to be found is not a consideration you understand!!

The updated memoirs however are definitely of interest. When you have a minute, I would be very grateful if you would look up the title please? Taeverso.

Andrew, yes. Don't ask me for the comparisons with the original though, it must be 40 years since I read it! However, it's a great read and also reminds you that the cancellations of TSR2, P1154, HS681 etc. under the Wilson government weren't the only catastrophes, they also cancelled the two advanced aircraft carriers with twin parallel flight decks that Winkle had been involved in designing, one of which was already partially built and was subsequently scrapped. What has happened to naval aviation in this country must have deeply upset him, although the two new carriers might cheer him up if they come to anything, even more so if they have some planes to fly off them! Let's hope he's still around to see it happen. (I hope I am)!

A truly amazing man, I attended his lecture at Old Warden a couple of years ago. He is very intelligent, graduated in German at a time when a university degree actually meant something. A true gentleman he made time to speak to everyone who wanted to talk to him, no rush, he lost most of his lunch break. it was a privilege to shake his hand