Fixing foam control hinges?

Ross Clarkson

Advert

UHU and UHU POR are very different glues, UHU POR is safe for foam - UHU (ordinary) eats some foam!!!

I have only ever seen UHU POR in model shops and on-line

Foam 2 Foam I don't know, if you want to test it, put a TINY droplet somewhere out of the way, but where you can wipe it off easily if it goes pear shaped.......

Have people here stating not to use "glue" hinges on EPP/EPO/etc ever properly explored using them?

I own a large collection of foam planes, from tiny indoor to 2m, and mostly they have POR hinging.

As one example, for a number of years I ran Indoor full contact combat sessions using an EPP flat plate plane called the "FireFly" (RCG, Foamies, Scratchbuilt). These all had POR hinging.

Apart from frequent multiple impact from other planes, props and direct hit at speed, they also have extreme throws, so the glue hinge is flexed a lot (mine have 60 degree EACH WAY elevons and as close to 90 degree rudder as possible!!)

In this case, the hinge is made to a clean foam knife edge join line. Both edges are angle cut. A small bead of POR is run along each extreme edge, and the glue is allowed to almost dry. On a flat surface the two parts are then slid together into contact.

As another example, both my Windrider Foxes (one powered) also have POR hinging, as the default thinned foam "hinge" on a long thin aileron does not allow even bend from a single horn position and puts too much servo loading on. One is more than five years old, flown frequently, and NO failure has occured.

Clean, flexible, near invisible, and very long lasting. Another BIG advantage is that it is efficient, as there is NO gap! No ugly tape, no ugly loss inducing gaps.

I have built more than 30 planes this way. I use nothing else on EPP foam.

So, i decided to go with the glued hinge method.

I will admit, i was a bit dubious as iv'e had no experience of this at all before but after leaving it 24hrs i must say i think i would be hard pushed to force the hinge apart now. I reckon it would break elsewhere before giving up at the hinge.

It seems super strong, amazed by it really.

I used Foam 2 Foam glue.

I will report back after i have flown with them and see if they degrade over time.

Thank you all.