Low cost video camera for Radian glider?

I use an 808#16 keyfob camera with a V2 lens (120 degrees) and I'm quite impressed. The guy who sells them also does 2 other lens versions for about the same price, plus mounting kits.There are quite a few copies out there which are rubbish. I am led to understand This guy helped develop these cameras with members from RC Group specifically for airborne use so his are genuine. He also sells Mobius cameras.

Here's a vid of a journey I made from Weymouth to Portland with the camera BluTack'ed to the dashboard. Its no GoPro but then its less than £30.

Ian

Mobius is a good camera for your radian, the form factor means that it is more streamlined than the Go-Pros or Go Pro clones, and quality is pretty good.

There's some video from my Mobius at around 4:50 on this video and thats after being processed by You Tube, excuse the dodgy take off embarrassed and before you ask the flight was deliberately short as i wanted the video from it.............honest.

I made up a simple ply mount and using a plastic bolt that goes into the standard camera thread on the Mobius mount and the held that on with rubber bands.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 01/12/2014 13:42:01:

Mobius is a good camera for your radian, the form factor means that it is more streamlined than the Go-Pros or Go Pro clones, and quality is pretty good.

There's some video from my Mobius at around 4:50 on this video and thats after being processed by You Tube, excuse the dodgy take off embarrassed and before you ask the flight was deliberately short as i wanted the video from it.............honest.

I made up a simple ply mount and using a plastic bolt that goes into the standard camera thread on the Mobius mount and the held that on with rubber bands.

Frank, loved the whole video! That poor guys wings breaking!!! The quality looks really good on your flight. Thanks for sharing, it's just what I was hoping to see.

Posted by TheFlyingCrust on 30/11/2014 23:52:30:

I use an 808#16 keyfob camera with a V2 lens (120 degrees) and I'm quite impressed. The guy who sells them also does 2 other lens versions for about the same price, plus mounting kits.There are quite a few copies out there which are rubbish. I am led to understand This guy helped develop these cameras with members from RC Group specifically for airborne use so his are genuine. He also sells Mobius cameras.

Here's a vid of a journey I made from Weymouth to Portland with the camera BluTack'ed to the dashboard. Its no GoPro but then its less than £30.

Ian

That's interesting Ian. Mine must have been one of the copies as it was a lot cheaper and came from China, via Ebay. It did have the supposed same specs, but did not produce anything like as good quality as yours and was very flimsy, especially the card slot. I had to open it up to remove the card as it would not eject after a while. I would like to see some footage on a plane with that one too. I wonder how it compares in build quality to the more expensive Mobius....

The Mobius may be suitable for your Radian, but I question that your Radian is really that suitable for your Mobius!

Its actually quite hard to keep a plane not fitted with ailerons moving smoothly enough for good quality aerial filming.

(owner of two Mobius, five Keyfobs, a Radian and several other planes to which they get strapped!)