FASST software update

GONZO

FOR INFORMATION TO FASST USERS

Reports of some problems with the modified implementation of FASST(compliant with the new EN300328 1.8.1) have been reported. Post 5358 onward **LINK**

and Post 137 onward **LINK**

Have posted this elseware but thought a new thread would be useful as this could have safety implications.. The latest software update, v.5, for the 14SG appears to have caused some issues.

Advert

I'm not a 14SG user. I'm a TM8 module and a 12FG Tx user with mainly FrSky receivers. But, as FASST is not compliant with the new regs coming in 2015 Futaba may offer some form of update/exchange(with a fee?). So, I think its as well to be aware of whats going on.

David,

Its a big document in standards speakcrook. The points of interest, as I see it, are the LBT (Listen Before Talk) requirement and the MU (Medium Utilisation) limit. FASST does not LBT and I understand that the MU is significantly higher than the new spec. limit. This new standard will apply to all new equipement sold/made in 2015, but, existing equipement may continue to be used. I see two potential areas of concern here; 1/ sourcing replacements when parts fail. 2/ newer equipement with LBT being used along side older equipement, especially in a busy RF environment. The newer equipement will be forced to skip 'slots' and thus drop/loose data and give slow response possibly falling into failsafe mode. For info I'm providing a link to a review of the 14SG. The interesting info is from post 2 showing spectrum analiser displays of the various Futaba transmission protocols. FASST, for want of a better description, appears very band dominant with 36 wide channels covering the whole band.

**LINK**

Copied from the 14SG thread on RCGroups

"We have been informed by Futaba, Japan, that European users may find that non-Futaba equipment may not work with their Futaba 14SG once the new software update is in place. That is because the software has been made to conform to the new European regulations for RC transmitters. Unfortunately, that may cause some difficulties with non-Futaba equipment that does not conform to the new regulations.

Users in North America will not be affected because the European regulations will not apply to equipment sold there.

Bill Baxter, Manager
Futaba Service Center North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite 1
Champaign IL 61822
USA

Phone: (217) 398-0007
Fax: (217) 398-7721
Email: : [email protected]
Web: **LINK**

I gather, from recent posts on the other forums, that the V5 update can determine wether the 14SG is a European or USA model. The update only changes the transmission protocol to conform to the new ETSI standard if it detects a European model. European (UK) users will have to decide how much they want the other update changes balanced against the number of third party Rx they have which may/will become somewhat suspect on their ability to use the new protocol.

I still have some misgivings on the new protocol requirement to LBT in the model flying environment, as stated in item 2/ of my 4th post.

Yes I agree with your thinking Barrie But! Could this be a massive busines mistake? I personally have only version 3 as it does much more than I need , I won't bother updating from 3 and I won't be looking to update my TX for some time . But when I do I doubt I would carry on as a Futaba customer is the status quo remains the same.

I own a Futaba 10CG, and am not planning to change at the moment, so hopefully am not affected by this new rule.

But one thing that puzzles me is the reference to Listen Before Talk; I thought that all our 2.4GHz transmitters checked the frequency spectrum (i.e. listened) before they selected a few unused channels and started using them to talk to the receiver.

So what's the difference that the EU is insisting on, in layman's terms, please?

Just to throw something into this discussion - I have a Futaba T14SG and I have installed the V5 update.

It works with one of my FrSky receivers but another FrSky receiver now has a 2 second latency on response to the transmitter - useful if you know where you model will be in 2 seconds time ! ! disgust

No problem with Futaba receiver's

Posted by Allan Bennett on 14/12/2014 19:05:33:

I own a Futaba 10CG, and am not planning to change at the moment, so hopefully am not affected by this new rule.

But one thing that puzzles me is the reference to Listen Before Talk; I thought that all our 2.4GHz transmitters checked the frequency spectrum (i.e. listened) before they selected a few unused channels and started using them to talk to the receiver.

So what's the difference that the EU is insisting on, in layman's terms, please?

No they don't all LBT. However some have always done so. I know for certain that Hitec 2.4GHz system has already LBT.

The problem lies with the original standard EN300328 v1.7.1 - which is the EU standards for 2.4GHz systems, Document version 1.7.1. For ensuring proper shared use of the 2.4GHz band, the standard states:

"4.3.5 Medium access protocol
4.3.5.1 Definition
A medium access protocol is a mechanism designed to facilitate spectrum sharing with other devices in a wireless

network.
4.3.5.2 Requirement
A medium access protocol shall be implemented by the equipment.
"

A bit vague isn't it?!

So in the latest revision (v1.8.1), they changed it to be much more explicit and defines exactly what it should be doing.

Si.

Hi

The old man and the bad English ... a deadly combination isn't it? So please give me a good man with a simple English...So... I need the answer :Can I buy, some new Futaba RX (up to 8 ch),after this New Year, and use it over my T8FG .... with no problems and updates,as before , or not?
Do not shoot me please ..... I'm just an ordinary RC flyer!

Thanks in advance, and Regards to all

Jo

Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 14/12/2014 20:25:35:

Hi

The old man and the bad English ... a deadly combination isn't it? So please give me a good man with a simple English...So... I need the answer :Can I buy, some new Futaba RX (up to 8 ch),after this New Year, and use it over my T8FG .... with no problems and updates,as before , or not?
Do not shoot me please ..... I'm just an ordinary RC flyer!

Thanks in advance, and Regards to all

Jo

Yes! Everything will be the same. It will be completely legal to use.

The only problem may be if the 8FG receives an update. Then the compatible FASST receiver will break.

However given that the 8FG is an old radio+discontinued radio and not had a software update in a long time, that's unlikely.

Any existing stock in shops won't be affected either. Only stuff imported into the EU (new and second hand) or manufactured.

Si.

Edited By Simon Chambers on 14/12/2014 20:45:51

Posted by Simon Chambers on 14/12/2014 19:39:28:
Posted by Allan Bennett on 14/12/2014 19:05:33:

But one thing that puzzles me is the reference to Listen Before Talk; I thought that all our 2.4GHz transmitters checked the frequency spectrum (i.e. listened) before they selected a few unused channels and started using them to talk to the receiver. ...

No they don't all LBT. However some have always done so. I know for certain that Hitec 2.4GHz system has already LBT.

So, my Futaba obviously doesn't LBT because they're having to update FASST to meet the new spec; so how does my present Futaba know what channels are free, if it doesn't already listen before it starts talking? Does it start transmitting on any random channel, and then switch only if the receiver gets confused because someone else is using it?