Ebay Attilla - getting ready to fly it - advice needed

JAMES S

Advert

Posted by Martin Harris on 04/01/2015 17:55:02:

Assuming you're running an exhaust pressurised tank...

Open the throtle fully, put a finger over the exhaust outlet to seal it, flick the engine forwards until you feel/hear "slurpiness", CLOSE THE THROTTLE TO IDLE, connect the glow and give it a reverse flick...

Super Martin - that will be what I'll try next weekend - thanks!

Hi James

I just caught up with the thread and am pleased to hear you have got it going.

Just to clarify what I was saying about starting, when you have it primed up and want to start it you turn it backwards to compression and then flick it backwards. The engine will then bounce and run the right way. As you discovered, flicking the right direction has the same effect and it runs backwards.

As you only have a little engine flicking the right way is no problem and at worst the engine will run backwards, if you attempted to start a bigger engine, say a 70 or bigger you will find you might cause yourself some injury or damage your prop. Above about 120 size trying to hand start a 4 stroke in the correct direction is almost suicide. I have on a few occasions tried hot restarts on big 4 strokes (the backflick wont work when its hot) and im sure I have done damage to my wrist as it hurt like hell afterwards!

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the clarification, I had another session running in the engine today and managed to get it started fairly quickly.

I am confident now the engine was brand new and never run as today after 10 minutes of running in on a 'rich' mixture I have got new dis-colouration on the exhaust pipe which was not there previously.

As its a bit tight for clearances to detach a glow stick with the engine running I am having another go at using an on-board glow - I fiddled with the throttle servo to allow my transmitter to use un-reversed throttle and more or less have this set up now.

Maybe next weekend I'll try flying it.

Sounds good! beware of on board glow systems though, they are often unreliable and add weight. I would use a remote glow instead which allows the normal battery powered glow stick to be used but has a remote plug so that the connection is made somewhere convenient rather than under the engine.

Posted by Percy Verance on 11/01/2015 17:16:39:

James

Don't be worried or concerned about the discolouration on the exhaust manifold, it happens to just about every four stroke engine there is.

The remote glow connection suggested by John is a sound idea. It's a total pain grovelling underneath an engine to attach a glow connection.

Thanks Percy - it did look a bit more 'normal' and less like it was out of the box after running. At the moment since the Attilla is small it is very awkward trying to reach behind and get the glow out and that is on a concrete patio. So I think it will be significantly harder on a grassy, bumpy flying strip, regards James

Posted by Jon Harper on 11/01/2015 18:18:11:

I have to grovel under my Nieuport. Getting the thing on is ok, its getting it off that's the issue! but, I have a contorted method that seems to work so im not changing it now!

Exactly - its getting it off that is the 'tense' bit!! I'm now buying a remote glow as suggested - thanks!