MyHobbyStores delivery charges

Having a bit of a pre-Christmas buying spree, ordered a Funfighter kit from Cambrian and a load of wood from SLEC for a couple of Atoms, then decided, as I want to build a Panther Autogyro too, that I would order the Panther 'complete set' from MyHobbyStore. This includes four items - the plan, CNC wood set, additional wood set, and head set, total £144.85.

Clicked on 'Buy Now' and it put it in my basket - packing and delivery charge £21.97 ! ! ! ! An outrageous amount of money.

I phoned them and got a very nice lady, who confirmed that was indeed the correct delivery charge and, unfortunately, she could do nothing about it. I declined to place the order.

I think their system is simply adding the 4 individual delivery charges for the four components of the 'complete set' (which are each higher than seems reasonable), totally negating any expected 'bulk discount' for buying all together.

By comparison, the SLEC order for enough wood to build two Atoms, plus as much again for stock, plus fuel tanks, engine mounts, and various packs of fittings, had a delivery charge of £7.60.

Guess where I'll be ordering the Panther material from. I can cope with cutting a few parts out.

David

Advert

Crazy indeed! I wanted to order a spare prop for my UMX Yak54, a tiny bit of plastic less than 6 inches in diameter, £2.38 for the prop and £6.95 p&p...... I don't think so! I think these charges are arrived by throwing darts at a dartboard and seeing what numbers they hit, there can be no other rational explanation.

Chris

David

I think that all of the components in a pack are sent separately from different places and are not held in a "MyHobbyStore" central warehouse.

A few years ago I ordered the plans, vacformed parts and CNC cut wooden parts for the Tony Nijhuis Short Sunderland from MHS and I think the plans came direct from the printers, the vacforms came from Sarik Vacform in Bristol and the CNC wood came from SLEC at Watton in Norfolk.

Not much scope to combine delivery charges if correct.

John - it was the Panther stuff I was after - I included the order for stuff from SLEC for the Atoms for comparison. My scrap box has been hammered recently and needs a top-up. Yes I know the stuff is easy to cut, I was being lazy. I thought the basic price for the cut parts was a bit steep but the delivery charge just made it silly.