Low cost still cameras for powered gliders etc?

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on this forum though have been an RC flyer for some 25+ years now, although quite a bit out of touch with the scene due (blaming urban living etc).

I've been imagining something to buy for my dad, who, in his semi-retirement, has gotten back in touch with the RC world.

I'm basically looking for a very small, automatic still camera, which you could strap to a plane and which would take a picture every, say, 5 seconds. You could then download the pictures to your computer.

While GoPros and FPV gear etc are no doubt brilliant, they're a bit overkill and considerably more expensive than what I'm imagining.

Do any small, cheap, still-image aerial photography solutions exist? My Googling has not had much success.

Thanks, ~Mike

Advert

Mike

The feature you are looking for is called an "intervalometer", some cameras have a built in intervalometer, some Canon compacts can run CHDK (google it) and many more can use a plug-in intervalometer. If you use that in your searches you should be rewarded.

I'm currently doing my research for both airborne photography and time lapse. One comment I've read is that some built in intervalometers set the exposure at the first shot and then use it for all in the sequence - no idea if its universally true, but well worth establishing how the exposure is established for any solution you consider.

It may be worth stating your budget.

I'm sure others will be along with more specific advice and I remember an article in RCM&E in which the author recommended a Ricoh camera but I can't remember the model - but its another clue for your searches.

Graham

Most small compact cameras can be used. I would suggest fitting a servo to operate the shutter button. That way you can choose the direction the camera is pointing in as you take the picture.

Anti vibration mounting is important. Use a ply plate with another mounted via foam rubber pads. with the camera mounted through the tripod bush to the second plate. The thread is 1/4" Whitworth.

Most digital cameras switch off automatically if not used but you should be able to turn that feature off.

Set a fairly high ISO speed, around 800 but not much higher or you start to get other problems associated with digital cameras. I always used 400ASA film If the camera has "Shutter priority" set a high shutter speed and let the camera decide on the apperture

I did a lot of aerial photography with film cameras back in the 70s and 80s and that was my normal mounting up to and including SLRs.

I have a compact Canon camera. I may have another go.

I am a keen photographer and keep looking at ariel photography after a previous dable using an 808 keychain cam.

From my extensive research you cannot beat the Mobius for cost vs quality; and it is a form factor designed for this very purpose.

If you cannot stretch to £50-£60 for the Mobius, then HobbyKing do their Wingcam at about £25, But from what I have seen it is not close to the mobius in quality either still or video.

Repurposing a domestic stills camera will not work out any cheaper and you are left with a camera desgned for human hands to operate rather than a smaller streamlined package.

Check out at least post #2 on this thread for good Mobuius advice **LINK**

I would have a Mobius right now if it were not for allocating all my hobby funds into airframes.