tony nijhuis vampire

Can't see the problem.

When you buy your next 'toy' buy her something for her hobbies.

A new ironing board or vacuum should fit the bill.

I understand hospital food is not that bad!!

Happy visiting.

Edited By J3hne on 25/08/2015 19:31:56

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have finally finished my vampire enough for a test flight. I still have the cockpit to finish and then add some paint details.

The test flight was great, I had the CG probably 1/4" forward of plan and the handling was perfect. My power system is a jetfan 90mm V2 on a 12 cell 6000mah battery, first flight was 4 minutes and had 60% left in the packs! I also tested it on a 10 cell battery and it still had enough power for a grass take off. Really happy with it.

Here are the pre flight photos:

12346379_10207000039176042_3975547412547137573_n.jpg

12342681_10207000038736031_353241020078743323_n.jpg

Dan

Two of my club mates have built the TN Vampire, both with turbine power. The difference in AUW between the builders is astounding. No1 finished at 26lbs and No2 a shade over 20lbs. Both models are not really suitable for our 50M grass strip (No 2 in particular) but both have flown successfully, albeit with various repairs to the U/C because of the lack of a decent long and hard runway. BTW, our strip is as good as you'll ever get for grass, but run off into the rough and out goes your nose wheel!

Simon.

Mate number 2 is simply a very good and thoughtful builder who has developed a knack over the years for building very light. He bothers to select wood for its purpose -light at the back if at all possible - and plans his installations very carefully. His finishes are usually tissue/dope well prepared so that only the smallest amount of paint gives a decent finish. I think his Vampire came out at the weight it did mainly because it needed a lot less lead ballast for correct CG than No 1.

I picked up No 1's fuz without its wings fitted a while back, and it was similar to an artillery shelllaugh

BTW mate No2 is one of those rare breed of modellers who is both an outstanding builder and flier. F/W & helis, aerobatics and 3D with both, a trusted test pilot who is at home on mode1 or mode2..........quite amazing really and a real nice bloke as well.yes

• 6 months later...

Well after all the negatives about the heavier (artillery shell) vampire it continues to fly.

Not the same can be said about the lighter one which seems to have retired.

No point in building a light model if it doesn't fly.

Daniel, any chance of a few more details of your power system. I have always fancied one of these, but could not be bothered to pay for or learn to operate a gas turbine.

Keep it basic, glow plug operator, but I do small electrics, so don't assume any expertise.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

The fan is a Jetfan V2 90mm with a Het 700-68 1200KV motor The thrust tube is from RC Turbines as was the fan and motor. The ESC is a 120Amp HV YEP from Hobbyking.

I started off using 4 x 6 cell 3000mah batteries from my 500 heli but I have now changed to 2 x 6 cell 8000mah. They were slightly heavier but this has moved the CofG to be spot on and improved the general trim and flying characteristics of the model. The main power connectors are 5.5mm bullets - peak current is around 100amps and it gives around 5kg of static thrust as installed in the model.

I'm now getting flights of 5.5 to 6 minutes with some reserve in the packs and enjoying quite a bit of full power flight instead of power management. It takes off from grass very easily and will climb away at a really good rate - thrust is not an issue!

Sorry for the very slow reply!

Dan

• 1 month later...