FPV Spanky on the Rocks

Hi All,

We got permission to fly around a local active gravel quarry, no workers were on site during the weekend so we had the opportunity to check it out and have a fly around the all the equipment.

This video was filmed back in September while the weather had a break from the rain and wind. The site is used to create fine gravel and aggregate for local businesses and has been active many decades.

The location would be so good to have Mini FPV Quad races around all the equipment, there is even a track behind this location that would be an excellent advanced course for the later races with a 50meter high incline on the straight.

Best viewed full screen @1080p

Thanks both for your nice comments I had a lot of fun making this video. This was a flight the weekend after the last FPV racing I did and I had a huge shock as I no longer shared the air with other quads. I had to entertain myself again and the quarry equipment served its purpose perfectly.

Here are some Photo's taken by my spotter on this day...

The area was covered in fine dust...

Which made for some great trails of dust when at speed...

After the small tumble into the stinging nettles I realised a few magnets had come loose in the ZMR1804 motors which can be easily fixed with super glue...

Lucky I had the tools with me...

Use No.9999 for zip ties, as a spreader for superglue. Once I found the magnet, just remove it and clean the section where it sits and then apply a thin layer of superglue...

After that, rebuild the motor and its back in the air for another attempt...

A rare spot, a caged Spanky...

No one like to see these animals caged, they should be allowed to roam free among the trees...

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Fly_Boy_Rez on 20/12/2014 20:01:05:

Triples at the rear and twins at the front? Clearly it flies great James but wondering why... Or was it just what you had lying around? wink

Rez

Good spot there Rez

I ran out of 2blade props once while flying very close proximity in an old mine ruins and though I would just test to see if 3 blade worked on the back and to my surprise the quad handled even better in very confind spaces, it stoped the seesaw effect from quick blips on the throttle. I used this same configuration while doing the FPV racing and I found the lateral control of the quad was awesome, kept the frame nice and level and had plenty of thrust, it was a winning combo. My normal config is RCTimer carbon 2blade props front and back.