3 D Models

I have been thinking for some time to  purchace a 3 D model ,54 " wngspan shoulder wing 4 to  5 lb in weight . My question is, on low rates will the model be like a normal airobatic ship and  should  it have a reasonable glide. I have been informed that they normally glide like bricks. this I cant see as wing loading does not seem excessive. Help as usual would be apreciated

Advert

Fun- fly models have thick wing sections with a very blunt leading edge, these are not necessary for 3D flight i.e. in 3D the wings are stalled out not flying at all. The main things needed for 3D are high power to weight ratio large control surfaces with equally large throws on said surfaces

And large diameter props with relatively low pitch - gives better "acceleration" - or thrust,  rather than high flying speed. These larger diameter props also tend to work a bit like airbrakes when landing slowing the 'plane down. So I guess, in so many words, the answer to your question seems to be pretty much NO not really. Horses for courses.

Original poster Garry, two good 3D models around the size you're looking for are the Fliton Inspire 60 and the Extreme Flight Extra 58", both can be kitted out IC or electric, the Exta is a scale aerobat whereas the Inspire is not. They are both lightly built which makes for better 3D but not good when making heavy contact with the ground so if you're in the early stages of learning your flying skills and envisage heavy landings etc this may need consideration. That said you cannot build good flying airframes that will withstand heavy arrivals. Good luck

I can recomend the Dualsky extra 260 just about the size toy describe (on my second one after the first one met an early death), yes the glide is not that wonderful and landings are best made with a trickle of power. With the dualsky 800 w motor and a 3300 4s lipo the performance is outstanding.And as already said due to thier very light weight construction they tend to come off much worse in and plane/ground argument.

I usually fly big smooth aeros which it does almost as good as a true pattern machine,it will continue in vertical rolls until it becomes a tiny spec.  I am just starting to get into more 3D type flying (not that good yet) but this type of flying reduces flight time by about 30%

I hope to maiden the new Extra tomorrow, i will then set about an own design fuselage and tail for my left over wings from the first one.

Chris

Incedently Chris was the demise of the firrst on pilot error or model  problems I like the comment of it doing  big smooth aeros as that is what I am looking for for starters however as I am quite ok with the normal pattern model maybe I will be ok. It is just something new to me and I like to be safe than sorry. I have taken the plunge and the 260 should be with me next week, however the motor is slightly bigger than the 800 you quote but surely if you reduce throttle it wont go quite as fast Would be interested in how you go on with the new one Chris keep me postedChris,                                                                                                                                                 

Gary,

Yes you are quite right, the motor is 900W (just checked the spec)

Not sure of the cause of the crash as no fault found with the radio, linkages or airframe so probably just me !

I am sure you will like the model as it will do all standard pattern aeros on a little over half throttle, but then you can punsc it vertical and roll until it dissapears.

On both of mine (on advice from Ali snr) i added triangular balsa along the U/C mounting plate sust for extra strength. I have used full sized servos but they supply adaptor plates to fit mini servos.On  my latest one I have not used the supplied stickers but have made my own on my vinyl cutter which i think look better (if you fancy some different graphics email me and i can send you some pictures). I will let you know how the maiden goes tomorrow although I am not expecting any surprises.

Chris

gary,

Just got back from the field, although it was a bit breezy and setting trims accurately was not possible I can report the new extra flew just as good as the old one with no problems to report. Be wary of the control deflections it gives in the manual as these are for full 3D flying, probably best to start with 50% of what the say and work up. I use about 80% on normal with quite high exponential and then the full reccomended on high rates again with about 50 on the exponential.

chris

I understand your prob with the flying site Chris. I am very fortunate as I use 3 different sites, one the local playing field with full written permission, and never any one there. Second a very large field with a concrete strip, once again never used, and thirdly  a n area probably one and a half mile square only 15 mins from my home onec again no one flys there. I am fortunate that I am retired and normally fly in the week What with that and my fishing I am a very happy man.  garry