Eze Kote vs f/glass resin

Hi good people, I`m looking for some information from any one who has used Eze Kote, how does it compare to traditional fibre glass resin, I would assume that Eze Kote would still need glass cloth when applied to balsa in order to avoid cracking ? I am currently building the T.N. Mustang and would like to use something that will guard against "transport rash" but have never attempted glassing, I have studied most enlightening the article in R.C.M.&E. by Danny Fenton and found it very useful but looking at resins it seems that Eze Kote would be easier to work with being water soluble prior to hardening maybe.

Any advise from anyone who has used both types would be most appreciated. teeth 2

Advert

I found the epoxy resin & glass cloth to be more flexible than polyester resin & glass cloth (ezekote and fibreglass) On my Cambrian Hurricane I used 24g/sqm cloth to keep it light and although it protects the balsa very well a good knock on the corner of something will still leave a dent. Still better than cracking or chipping a glass fibre skin though.

It also depends what paints you will be using to finish the model too although an etching primer or bar coat should separate the skin from the paint. Remember to keep it light and don't use more resin than you need to. Have a look at a few youtube videos first and pay attention to blotting the resin on the first coat, saves hours of sanding later!

I should also point out that you can use 1 thin coat of ezekote straight onto balsa without glass cloth to seal the wood but the smooth finish is still produced with paint and sanding. The epoxy will produce a smooth glass like finish if you use a thick coat or several coats but as you said it will crack without the cloth to reinforce it.

I have used both. Epoxy/glass is a lot tougher to abuse. But it needs a bit more care.to apply to avoid a sticky mess everywhere. I use a cheap radiator roller to apply, roll bog paper to the finish to remove excess. Second coat is rolled on, but this time dilute resin with about 20 per cent isopropyl alcohol (e bay ). This gives a smoother finish. Use gloves and throw away roller after use. You can get the rollers in big packs for not much. The water based stuff is OK but not as tough, but cheaper, easier to use and still a lot tougher than than unprotected balsa. PS, above system not my idea, believe read it in this magazine years ago, Brian Winch article I believe.

Thanks for your advise all, I have used the traditional fibre glass matting and resin a few times but not on a model so I am aware of how tricky it is to use, I have found a very good instructional video on the manufacturers site for Ezi Kote, it shows the process from start to finish and although I take on board the advise that it is not as hard a finish it looks to be a doddle to use, so at the moment I am leaning towards giving it a go.

Many thanks once again to you all and I wish a very merry Christmas to you and yours. smiley