1/6 Scale Sopwith Pup Build

Jon H

Hi Guys

I hope to soon start my 1/6 Balsa USA Sopwith pup which was very nicely sent to me from the US by some friends of mine.

I don't know exactly when I will be getting into it but it would like it to be very soon and there are a few details I do already know.

The engine was going to be a Laser 62. Too much power but I wanted to turn a big prop. Sadly however I will be unable to get the tank in a nice place so my chosen engine (and next best thing to a laser) will be an Enya 53. Again its overdoing it on power, but the Enya has good torque and will spin my intended 15x5 prop very nicely.

I will be making a few tweaks to the model for improved scale looks (the forward cabane struts for example) and I have ditched the plastic cowl that came with the kit and replaced it with the flair pup cowl as they are a perfect match.

So, who thinks I should get cracking??

Edited By Jon Harper on 26/12/2014 11:52:30

Advert

I am very much looking forward to it. I plan to use it as a little bit of a test bench for some scale detailing, to see if I can be bothered to detail a model to more than sport scale standard. It will have a full set of non structural flying wires, sprung u/c, closed loop tail controls and so on. I might have a go at rib stitching and a few other bits.

The purpose is to see how fed up I get detailing. If I don't, then I will take the time to build my 1/4 scale mick reeves pup. If I get fed up, I will build the 1/4 scale DB pup instead as it more of a sport scale model than the super scale MR and a thousand times easier to build.

As for the Enya, I got it 2nd hand in a bit of a state and have nursed it back to health as I have with some others. As I have said before, I think they are the best cast engine on the market in terms of strength and reliability and if I was to buy a new non Laser 4 stroke glow it would HAVE to be an enya.

Anyway, I hope to get into the build within a week or so.

A scan through the kit reveals a lot of very hard wood but the quality seems ok. I don't like their obsession with laminating everything as this is very time consuming. I know it makes things like the wingtips and tail a bit stronger, but my flair nieuport is no problem without the intricate layering so I think I will ditch that and move for progress

• 3 weeks later...

Well...so much for getting my pup started.

I have decided to finish off my winter maintenance/overhaul list first so currently my YT P39 is in the middle of the work bench. Once this is out of the way, and a series of test flights are done and all my models are more or less alive I will start on the pup. The reason for this is once I start I want to get on with it and don't want to have to keep clearing the bench for running repairs.

So, P39 needs overhaul, then it, my P40 and my Sea Fury need test flights. Once all is well with all 3...that is to say they live through the test flights, I will get the pup kit out.

Sorry for the delay guys!

• 3 years later...

Hi Jon I hope you and the Warbird Wednesday guys are well! Did you ever get round to building this model? I have one and plan on it being my next project, not to fine scale detail but keeping it as designed. If you did, any top Harper tips?

Has anyone else built this 1/6 scale kit that can offer advice?

No I never did Its still on my to do list but other things keep jumping ahead of it.

Looking back at my last posting not much has changed. My P39 is still in need of overhaul and is fatting up the work bench, the sea fury has been fixed and is awaiting the new season...

The only difference is that the P40 is dead now :/