orangerx dsm2/dsmx module

andyh

I finally got around to getting myself one of these:

**LINK**

I cannot get it to go into the slot in the back of the Tx. I just don't seem to be able to get the holes in the module to line up with the pins in the Tx slot, & I'm terrified of bending them

whoever designed this with flimsy male pins on the expensive Tx needs a good kicking - data communication equipment (my day job) is always designed the other way around to avoid damage to the costlier component

-andyh

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 05/01/2015 21:22:34

Points to watch:

The socket in the module is only retained by the solder tags on one side and the socket has a tendency to tilt. Opening the module case and using, very carefully, a little CA glue to fix the socket to the board can help.

The plastic molding of the holes for the pins to go through to the contacts can be a little small. V/careful enlargement with a small pointed tool, like a scriber may help.

Slight bending of the Tx pins to better align with the module should also be looked at.

I've had to do all three.

Come back again when you get it to fit as there are some opperational oddities that may catch you out.

HTH

thanks chaps. I probed each hole with a straightened paperclip & bent the pins fractionally outwards & it now slips in fine. it's going to stay in now!

what oddities are there with it Gonzo? I think I've seen mention elsewhere that timing or something needs tweaking

thanks

-andy

I'm assuming you're using a Taranis as this is in the Frsky section so the first warning is do not mix up your Frsky and OrangeRx tx aerials - whilst a Frsky aerial will appear to fit just fine onto an Orange module, it will not electrically connect - there are no pins, just two back-to-back sockets.

PPM timing isnt a problem with an Orange module, the need to set PPM pulses to 400uS is specific to the awkward Spektrum DM9 module.

In the Taranis model setup you'll have to set the channel order to thr, ail, ele, rudder (TAER) as all Spek stuff expects this sequence, including all the BNF toys.

There are mode switching things you need to know if you mix DSM2 and DSMX receivers but its all in the manual, just a case of dabbing the mode button to select protocol and framerate.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 05/01/2015 22:15:28

thanks Phil

yes, using the Taranis Tx. you & I have discussed the aerial issue before, but thanks for the reminder

as a former Spekky user, I'm using TAER already

I'm only planning to use the module for mini BNF stuff, I've swapped out all the Spektrum/Orange Rx's in my bigger stuff for X4/6/8R's already

-andyh

Phil has already touched on the oddities re the mode switching. People have claimed, in the past, that the bind has needed to be re established from time to time. This is not so and is because they have not understood how the module works. If you bind a Rx then the module automatically detects the optimum mode. But, if you should then go on to bind another Rx of a different mode the module will change mode and hold it. Go back to the original Rx and no automatic mode detection takes place and the model will be in the last detected mode and will look like the bind has been lost. But, it hsn't, you need to manually step the module through the modes by multiple 3 push on the mode button.

IE:- first Rx to bind is DSM2. Auto mode detection sets module to DSM2(1024/22mS) with no LED flash.

Second Rx to bind is DSMX. Auto mode detection sets module to DSMX(22mS) with double LED flash.

Go back and just power up the original DSM2 Rx and no auto mode detection takes place and it looks like it has lost bind. But, step through the modes manually with multiple bursts of three pushes and you will get back to the DSM mode and all will OK.

If you mix Rx then you need to record which plane has what type of Rx. I like these module and think the're good value for money.

• 3 months later...

I had a similar problem with fitting my module. I took the module apart and made sure that the pins on the X9D fitted correctly by offering the (opened) module up to it. Once I got it to fit correctly I built it back up and it now works perfectly.