Just getting started.

Fast Fingers

Hi all,

After meeting with what may become my local club, i have found that they mostly use fuel powered planes and as such i may go that way myself as then there would be alot more help available when i need it.

With that in mind, what are the best starter/trainer planes available at the moment in the UK.

I dont mind building one up if that would get me better value for money and it would probably benefit me getting a Futaba set as that would be compatable with their buddy box set ups.

So what would you guys/gals recomend?

Advert

Fast

As far as radio is concerned, best get one that's the same as your instructor will use. Then you can hook up to his transmitter with a buddy lead (which is the only way to train)
Be wary if anyone offers to take your model up for a flight and then hands the transmitter to you. They're probably just being helpful but this is a recipie for disaster.
A buddy lead is the only way and allows the instructor to give you control of your model then retain control at a moments notice. You learn quicker, the model stays in one piece.

Fast,
I have to agree with David. Ive just this week taken my first flight. If it wasnt for the fact we were using a buddy lead I think I would have come home with the plane in black bags. As it was the experience was great and my plane is intact. You might want to look at the thread called newbees. There are a lot of us on there who are just begining and sharing our experiences and thoughts with each other.

• 8 months later...

Fast...don't know if you spotted it but maybe take a look at the Beginners Begin Here thread http://www.modelflying.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/1201/last/1/V/1/SP/

Written by His Timbo-ness (a Model Flying Deity as you will soon find out no doubt) it is full of good advise for anyone starting out.......

Agree with Roger. I have just flown a Boomerang 40 for the first time. Like the Arising star, they are both made by Seagull www.seagullmodels.co.uk . The kit only costs around £50. A lot of hobby shops offer a package which includes kit, Tx and engine for around £239. I bought the Futaba 6EXA to go with mine which came with batteries and servos. One trimmed out the plane flies very well and is stable whilst you can still do some aerobatics very easily.

The Boomerang is a beaut trainer and I would be a bit controversial here and recommend the 60[10cc] version as a big plane is easier to fly and see.The price difference is minimal.ARTFs are actually cheaper than kits and probably scatch build too.It is easy to get up to 100 quid by the time you buy wood,glues,covering,wheels,tanks and other hardware.Do anything to fly soon and often.I fly 3 times a week but I am lucky because I am 10 minutes from the field.

As Timbo says get the same radio as the instructor or as stocked by the local shop as you will need help to program it.This is important!