Video Tx power

I fancy dipping a toe in the FPV larky, but when looking at the AV equipment I see there is a variety of different options available from 25 mW CE approved units that don't need a license to 600 mW which I'm assuming I need a license for, but I can't find any information about this, so my questions are

1) Is it OK to use >25 mW without a license, does the higher power equipment need to have CE?

2) What license do you need for >25mW and how do you get one.?

3) For UK FPV following the CAA rules is 25 mW sufficient ?

It all seems a bit of a grey area and I'm reluctant to go with a low power unit if they are not practical.

You could try asking on this site **LINK**

AFAIK There are no aerial video licences available for higher O/P transmission power except for comercial opperation. That would mean you going through the training courses and getting the qualifications etc. Even a full 'ham' licence does not give any extra benifits.

I'm now going to say something that will no doubt get me told off. All this is policed using a light touch , ie if you don't cause any problems and are senible then no one is checking and coming looking for you. I'm sure that if you checked there are a lot of 200mW VTx that look like 25mW VTx.

Alan is right. Its far less noticeable to run excess power on a legal frequency than to use an illegal frequency. Its very easy for the authorities find you and prove use of an illegal frequency as you are actually drawing attention to yourself.
However, its much harder for them to prove illegal power has been used on a legal frequency, why would they even notice unless there is an interference complaint. (I used to work for said authorities)  

At 5.8Ghz its all very theoretical anyway.

Cheers
Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 09/01/2015 00:26:38

Just thought I'd add that 5.8gHz is attenuated very quickly as you will no doubt soon find out. So higher power on 5.8gHz is like going from a small torch to a car headlight in a very thick fog. CP (Circular Polarised) aerials are the ones to use with a directional high gain for the VRx if you want any distance.

HTH