thrust difference between 24x6 and 24x12?

scott finnie

Advert

theoretically its double,(as is the load on the engine) as in 12" of forward movement per revolution as opposed to 6" but the science aint that easy, so why do you need more pitch, and what engine is it on, if you need more thrust,then to keep the loading approx the same go down an inch on diameter and up to 8" pitch so a 22x8 would be a good start, depending on the engine just up to a 24 x 8 might be OK with a tweak of tuning, as would a 22x10, but even this depends on what the prop is made of, ie wood,carbon,GRP, (i assumed it was a wood one as these are the sizes used on my Zenoahs)

cheers

chris

Edited By ceejay on 30/01/2015 20:02:28

Its a Avio Mac 75 twin. I had prop failure a few days ago and about to order a new one. Was curious to see what the main difference would be. With the setup I had its was up within 20 feet. Not fussed about higher speed as its a very old cub. As long as it flies and isn't trying to hard I'd be happy

using Zenoah's 74/80 twins as a guide i would have thought a 24x10, (got this size on my 80,s in a 1/4 scale zero and a 1/3 scale Piper Pacer glider tug,) or a 26x8 would be the one's, (club mate had this size on an 80 in a 1/3 scale Pup,) personnel preference for a nice scale cub like flight would be the 26x8,

chris