RCM&E March 2015

Kevin Fairgrieve

David is asking for some specifics - here's my thoughts:

The Not So Good

• Cliffwhacker consumed something like 8-10 pages over 2 issues. Massive overkill for a modest retro slope soarer, especially this month's test flight ramblings
  • Peter Lowe's articles are becoming very stale. There's only so much musing about Janet's trials and tribulations with Peter's wood - or their escapades with tea and biccies I can digest. Peter is a talented chap - but it's gone off the rails a bit
  • Nigel Hawes seems determined to tell us about every Pound Shop purchase he has made. They cost a pound - end of! But - I did like his piece on 3D printing
  • Something has to be done about ARTF kit reviews. Most people will get far more longitudinal insight from web forums and YouTube videos. RCME is not alone in this respect - it's a problem with print v online media
  • Bowden Trophy - five pages and not one mention of the rules and what flyers are trying to achieve
  • Stop giving lengthy URL addresses for YouTube or other links. Print a QR code and we can all point our smart phones at the page and get the page instantly
  • I have bought the mag since 1975 and subscribed for around 10 years. Why no free gift to reward loyalty every time I subscribe? I actually had a break for a month this year - but still no permagrit

The better bits:

• Andy Ellison is always a good read - but what has happened to Simon Cocker? - he is also good value
  • The photography is still best in class
  • Free Plans - I always put them in a drawer in the workshop - but have never built one!

Just a few thoughts.

Edited By FilmBuff on 13/02/2015 19:44:27

Advert

Posted by Erfolg on 12/02/2015 19:46:40:

To stay on topic, I would like to comment on the omission of a BEB section.angel 2

Whilst this forum is very good on supplying information on building techniques, and the magazine often carries specific , often unique building techniques by the like of Danny Fenton. On technical matters the forum, results in very little feed back, what there is, is not as authoritative and concise as BEB. So I reiterate, we do need more from BEB, to cover the technical aspects, which is his stock in trade, who also has access to other authoritative sources.

Thanks for that Erf - I can confirm that the Ed has my arm half way up my back already and a new series will indeed be forthcoming soon! smile

Beb

Have there been some changes to the distribution system? I was hoping that the Feb delays were a one off. However here we go again. Some have had theirs for three weeks but there is no sign of my March issue yet. It is an overseas sub, but for years they have been on time. But alas I seemed to be doomed to run a month behind others. Sorry to be complaining, but it is frustrating to have such a long delay when it has been good in the past. Having a subscription to ensure a prompt delivery no longer seems viable. Peter

I quite enjoyed Nigel Hawes' article on electric F3A flying & his recommendation
to try one of these aircraft to improve flying skills. My flying needs to improve
dramatically & I may well take up his advice & buy something like an Olympus.
I did wonder though what Steve Burgess (I think) did to Nigel's model to make that
vast improvement in performance he mentioned in the article - I don't think he said.