Dennis Bryant 1:51/3 scale Tiger Moth Advice Needed

Limobob

I have had for many moons, 27 years precisely! , plans and all the plastic/ fibre glass bits for this 66" span Tiger. I have always been put off by the complexity of the plans, but these days with laser cut parts being readily available the task becomes more attractive. Does anybody on the forum have knowledge of this model, tips and advice etc, particularly engine requirement. I want to use a 4stroke but realise the space is quite limited. My DB Tiger has an ASP 52 FS which is perfect, but i would like to tuck the exhaust out of site so was thinking maybe a 70 would be adequate and could be shoe horned in. Any advice at all would be gratefully received

I have owned one since 1990, a pleasure to fly.

My one original had a merco 60 twin plug in it. I modified the front end as it was a beam mount setup, and I wanted to use a standard mount.

The engine I fitted was a old OS fs 90 it had the trimming gear at the back an important thing to have on a small Moth.

After a mishap a few years ago I change it to a Laser 70.

A friend had a OS 120 in his and it was great.

The servos on mine are under the cross brace for the rudder personally I would move them

I would put a servo in each wing for ailerons, The wire and belcrank does work well but time has moved on from those days.

A great plane not to big or noisy

Well, after a bit of measuring etc the vote has to go for the Laser. It is quite a narrow engine and as such requires no mods to the bearers and although there may be a bit of cutting to do with the first former it looks an easy winner. Exhaust etc isexactly in the right place so no contest. Most of the other contenders have a wider bearer width so in all the Laser wins hands down just hope it runs OK inverted, i'm sure it will. I've ordered the laser cut stuff from Traplet and am producing a list for the other wood. Back in UK easter probably so a bit of time to sort things out. I'm not sure how other modellers are but i tend to get really enthusiastic about a certain model and then put it on theback burner. I was progressing quite well with the SIG Liberty Sportand then hit some big problemds so put it all to one side. Real shame as you finish up with lots of almost completed models . Am i alone in this respect. Also find these days very frustrating wnen a small item to finish a model seems to be unavailable. With me postage tends to be an issue but cant blame this on the model shops trying to make a living against the internet. I still like to go in and see all the kitboxes and wish i were richer and indeed had more timefor building!!!!!!

Posted by Limobob on 11/02/2015 19:17:15:

t. I'm not sure how other modelers are but i tend to get really enthusiastic about a certain model and then put it on the back burner. I was progressing quite well with the SIG Liberty Sportand then hit some big problems so put it all to one side. Real shame as you finish up with lots of almost completed models .

Oh so true, I have had a Precedent Aeronca Champ on the go since approx 1998, it is almost finished all built and part covered lost interest in it.

Oh and a Priory models Silhouette just needs final install

Edited By bert baker on 11/02/2015 19:26:18

• 11 months later...

Well, here we are a year on and still not started on the Tiger Moth - but very close! I have bought a Saito 72fs and am quite keen now to get started. In the mean time has been a Sig Hog Bipe and now just covering a Great planes RV4. The latter not a 'great' choice as the die cutting leaves a lot to be desired along with the wood choice, which varies from oak to papiere mache! It's quite a nice looking aircraft though and apart from a few issues should finish up OK. The laser cut kit from Traplet was very nice but missing loads of parts which should have been included. I must say, after many e-mails, phone calls etc, i did finish up with a complete kit of parts. It is beyond me why they cannot just print a parts list so a least you know what you are paying for. I did suggest this to them and hope it hasn't fallen on completely deaf ears -as i said though, in the end i finished with all the bits plus more they threw in just in case, so good for them! I'm looking at Hitec HS225 servos for the wings as the DB aileron set up, although i'm sure excellent, is a bit complicated and i would have in fact gone that route if the 20 and 50T - 40 dp gears were available. Perhaps someone can help me on this? Once you have carefully studied the plans it seems a quite simple build. I shall use my home-made fuselage jig to get things nice and straight. I have measured some of the laser cut stuff and it seems perfect. Will keep posted once i get started!

• 11 months later...

Hi , i am dusting off my one of these I built years ago, am changing the engine for a new 91 fs the old 60 2st having seized years ago, have lost the plans and cant for the life of me remember where the c of g was i seem to remember it was about level with the rear cabane strut on the top wing , anyone have a copy of the plan they could check for me ?

Thanks

john

img_0426.jpgthis is my old girl , built in 1999, a bit worse for wear , have just finished re setting the throws , balancing and put a couple of tanks of fuel through the new 91 fs, if the wind backs off she will be back in the air at the weekend based on KT from the shuttleworth collection

img_0425.jpg

• 1 month later...

In reply to Percy Verance, yes i have been very quiet but not given up on the Moth. Been a funny year for us as my MF135 tractor had engine problems and i finished up fitting a brand new unit from Sparex! Not cheap but excellent now. On the model front, after waiting for a trip back to UK to stock up with materials, i work on the Tiger and picked up the Liberty Sport again. This is now practically ready for a huge sanding session and my thoughts are back with getting on a bit with the Moth. I have built all the tail feathers and have one upper wing panel almost complete. I will probably start on the fus next in my home made building jig so can jump from the wings to this as the mood takes me. I have read on another forum that the large ply laminated wing tongue can be a problem so we shall see. The Tiger Moth is a long term project and i am slow builder so please bear with me!

Big tidy up today and after that took a look at what stage i had reached on the TM! I had actually spliced the spruce for the fuselage longerons - can't remember doing that! Too many things going on so must concentrate a little harder! I had a look in my box of 'bits' and am almost scared to admit that i had bought 2xRipmax Quartz QZ202 servos for the ailerons. I googled that today and hopefully things have moved on as most seem to prefer the Futaba/Hitec options but these looked good to me so hopefully they will perform. The wing is just too thin for a standard servo (just) so these are my choice. Oddly, there ate no grommets supplied so maybe they are aimed at the sailplane fraternity. Quite keen to get going again but must finish whats on the building board first. Too easy to loose interest on one thing in favour of your latest dream. I actually have 3 models practically finished, and they have been in this state for a very long time. A Topflite Mustang, with all the hellishly expensive air retracts, a DB Auster, built because this was the first aircraft i ever flew in, G-ANHR Auster 5 from Shoreham in 1956 would you believe,and a Pica Aeronca Sedan which must rate as one of the most awful kits ever produced but builds up to a very handsome lead weight!!!

• 2 years later...

Not a thing for over 2 years but i am still active..just! The Tiger Moth is progressing with many, many niggling problems. I wonder when i purchased the Laser cut bits from Traplet, should i have paid for a new set of drawings?

i started to build the fuselage but found that nothing fitted. Everything was too small. I cut the fuselage plan free to position in my jig but found the centre line to be banana shaped! Two fuselage sides were made but on trying to add the 1/32 doubler this was much too small. I cut two new ones to match my very (in)accurate completed profiles.

I finished up drawing the fuselage plan from the side elevation onto a length of lining paper and put this onto my jig to mate the two sides.

it all came together OK and was as accurate as i could wish it to be. Hang on though, i should have checked prior to doing all this as the rear fuselage formers are all too small and do not come out to the finished fuselage sides.

My drawings were very old but had been dry stored. No doubt they were printed on some ancient dye-line machine which fed the print through in an uneven manner, hence the fuselage centre line not being straight.

twenty seven quid for a new print, very expensive but maybe would have been, or certainly would have been worth the expense.

i have just one lower wing panel to construct and then i can start to see if it is going to be worth all the heartache. The wing chords are all about 3-4mm short when using the laser cut ribs. Today i have been adding all the bits and pieces around the nose area and have been tearing my hair out with all the innaccuracies.

i will soldier on though and maybe see if i can add a photo or two of my frustrating build.

Quite a big committment both in time and money on this thing and a couple of times i felt like jumping on it! Not the correct attitude though as we hope it will all come together in the end.

Much more satisfying for an old git like me to struggle to build something, rather than take a Chinese ARTF out of the box and a few hours later have a pristine new model, factory built, and i must admit, usually very impressive, and probably much cheaper than scratch build.....but were is the pleasure in that.

If my Tiger Moth flys, maybe a bit wonky here and there, but at least i have the pleasure to know i built it (with a lot of lasercut stuff from Traplet) and i shall continue doing so...long live the proper aeromodels..

• 4 years later...