Is it really worth it?

Lunch-time flyer

I've just dug out a 30 year old phase 6 from the attic... stuck a motor in it to see what happened... one flight later and a burnt our ESC says I didn't have a big enough motoe set-up...

My question is:

is this worth converting to electric power?

It's heavy already... so any addition has to be very powerfull to make it worth the effort... and eventually I want it to hold a camer too so there's more wieght there...

So ideas for a set-up - or just leave it - it ain't worth it !

Wingspan 66inches
wing area 540 sq in.
wing loading 11oz/sqft
weight 42oz

http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/#/phase-6/4538950472

Thanks

Advert

not really as the motor wasn't man enough for the job even at full tilt - I was after suggestions of power setups or coments to give up on it... don't want to buy a new motor for no return, but if someone's got a good idea os the scale of setup I'll need it might be worth considering - and as I said I want to add weight too...!

I'd say something like a 3542 100Kv motor such as this, a 40A ESC on a 3S pack, with a 12x7 folding prop should give you in the region of 400W, which will be plenty with a bit to spare.

I'm not into hotliners but I think that setup should give you a respectable performance.

I had a similar setup in an old, heavy Super Grone and it worked well - until I entered an oak wood inverted...smile o

Pete

You're correct, kc - thanks for spotting that!embarrassed

I was pulling about 37A static and, being the climb-and-glide type, I tend not to hammer the ESC too much. I've found the Hobbywings very reliable even at the limit, TBH. A 50 or 60A would certainly give a little more headroomthumbs up

Pete