Extending motor leads

Advert

Yes, you can extend the motor leads. Just make sure the extended wires are at least the same gauge as the original motor wires.

If you're using 2.4GHz radio, it's not so important to keep receiver and ESC apart as it used to be with 35MHz. -- though it's good practice if you have the space.

If you MUST extend power wiring, do it between the ESC and the Motor, but if you can avoid doing so its better.... 20" will cause some losses but nothing drastic - 2.4G RX's are in theory pretty immune to motor/esc noise, but its always best to get the biggest seperation you can

I always understood that altering the length significantly of the wires between the motor and the ESC was a no-no as it could compromise the feedback from the motor to the ESC, which is fundamental to how the set-up works. (Though, within reason, you could safely extend the length of the wires from the battery to the ESC.)

Will now retire to bunker and listen to the "Full & Frank exchanges of views" that are likely to ensue.

Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 05/03/2015 08:16:22:

I always understood that altering the length significantly of the wires between the motor and the ESC was a no-no as it could compromise the feedback from the motor to the ESC, which is fundamental to how the set-up works. (Though, within reason, you could safely extend the length of the wires from the battery to the ESC.)

Will now retire to bunker and listen to the "Full & Frank exchanges of views" that are likely to ensue.

If you want to extend the battery side wires you also need to provide additional spike elimintation capacitance in the power input circuit as the existing capacitance will be insufficient (the two large capacitors places between the power input cables on the average ESC)

In depth discussion here...

**LINK**

Posted by Gurth Scriven 2 on 05/03/2015 08:16:22:

No, you've got it the wrong way round; the length of the motor wires (within reason) isn't going to change the feedback significantly, given the speed at which electricity travels.

On the other hand, extended battery-to-ESC wires can generate more electrical spikes, which can be detrimental to the capacitors and, eventually, the other electronic components in the ESC.

• 2 weeks later...

Garth

Allen B is quite correct. It is the battery to ESC that has the length limitation.

The ESC is switching the current from battery on and off pretty rapidly. This can cause voltage spikes to be created in the battery cables so substantial capacitor(s) are built into the ESC to protect the sensitive electronics. The longer the battery wires the worse the spikes.

If you extend the battery wires much over 12" it is advisable to add extra capacitors and preferably at intervals along the wire.

The wires to the motor also produce voltage spikes but the motor, unlike the electronics in the ESC. is much more tolerant.

Any long cables do of course increase the resistance losses unless they are of generous cross section for the current they are carrying but then they become heavy. wink 2

Posted by Stephen Jones on 15/03/2015 01:10:48:

Hi ,

in-order to shift weight from the back of my indoor model i am extending the motor wires of a 1504 2s motor 20cm , i am hoping this will not impede the performance too much as this wires are single core varnished and are only 0.35mm thick.

Steve

Personally, I would use flexible wire for the extensions to reduce the risk of it breaking due to flexing with vibration. If weight is a big issue (wire covering often weighs more than the wire itself) you can use the rigid varnished stuff if you support it enough that it can't flop around. You don't say what motor you're using, but make sure that 0.35mm is enough to carry the amps comfortably. I would say your extensions want to be a bit thicker than the stock motor wires, just to be sure.

• 2 months later...

No, you've got it the wrong way round; the length of the motor wires (within reason) isn't going to change the feedback significantly, given the speed at which electricity travels.

On the other hand, extended battery-to-ESC wires can generate more electrical spikes, which can be detrimental to the capacitors and, eventually, the other electronic components in the ESC.

Right, so taking this another step, if (standard/in my case) battery leads are about 4" long and an ESC has roughly the same length of wires. The total length is near 8".

Is this too long?

To make shorter, would you cut the ESC wires, not shorten all the battery wires?

Therefore moving the ESC further from the motor (and air intakes) or stick with them as they are?

EG

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 23/05/2015 23:02:55:

Geoff

Up to 12" is the recommended maximum battery to ESC length. At 8" I would leave everything just as it is.

If you do shorten leads it is best to shorten the thinner one but If they are the same gauge it makes no difference which you do.

Thanks Simon.

Manufacturer of ESC (turnigy) says no more than 6" total, (I forgot to say originally).

Leads are about same diameter, so can cut some off the ESC side to be sure.

Cheers

EG