E-Flite Carbon Z Cub 2015 flying season.

Hi all is it OK if I start a topic for the above ?. Have taught myself to fly over the last couple of years and would really like one of these. I think there will be others too in my position and would benefit from others experience with this model. My first question is which version do I go for. I have a futaba t6ex which I am getting to grips with but do I go with the recommended Spectrum DX6i set up ? ATB Jez .

Advert

If you buy it with a rx, it will be Spektrum, so you'll have to use the DX6i. Also, if you do get the BNF, the newer DSM-X rx might not work with your DX6i, if it was the older DSM2 Type.(the later ones were DSM-X)

Sort of a can of worms - we need more details...

Thanks guys , did not explain myself very well, yes basically I should have asked is the as3x rx nessary. The difference in prise for the BNF and PNF is just 20 quid with that particular RX retailing on its own from same retailer is 76 quid but would have to purchase the TX to utilize it !. Next question what battery is best value for this plane in your opinions ?. I intend to purchase two or could I use two 3s in series and possibly use batteries I already own.Thanks Jez.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 08/03/2015 10:08:02:

the newer DSM-X rx might not work with your DX6i, if it was the older DSM2 Type.(the later ones were DSMX)

Sorry, Paul, that's not correct. Any DSM2 Tx will operate any DSMX RX. The protocols were designed to be both forward- and backwards compatible.

Pete

Hi Jez,

Not flown mine without As3x so can't say what the difference would be but I am sold on the As3x it just seems to make the model behave like it's a little bigger. I've had my Carbon Cub a year now and it' still my favourite model to take flying. I use Nanotech 3300s and have the timer set for 7 minutes.

A must have upgrade from experience is a battery tray or LWC from these**LINK** guys.

Regards John

Forgot to say the batteries are 6S and yes it does sound great when opened up but it also sounds terrific in a motor off steep dive....

Edited By John Milne on 08/03/2015 21:54:07

Hi John, bought the one with out the As3x last night online. Will consider the battery tray looks to be a good mod for the Cub. Looking forward to being able to take of and land on my sheep grazed patch a little easier with this model, with my Glasair it has been a real struggle usually hand launching and end up nosing over on landing ! Going to love those tundra tyres😀 looking at batteries now ,ATB Jez

Hi Jez,

Those wheels are great. I sometimes use the rough ground around the strip for a laugh. The Cub will take a wide range of pack sizes and using the LWC you can easily change the COG. Have fun with it and let us know how you get on with it.

Regards John

John, I am looking forward very much to the landings with the cub. My Hobbyzone Glasair has stood up very well and still is !,I have a spare under cart kit for it , have bent it back into shape countless times and knocked the spats off ! But not replaced it yet. Landing was my biggest challenge in the beginning especially on rough sheep pasture. Have read that the foam is a little soft on the cub so will be looking at ways to toughen that up in the nose area etc ? Will be very busy in the next few months but lucky to have a field I can fly in just below the house on those lovely summer evenings we are going to get( fingers crossed) whenever I get a little free time ! ATB Jez.

You'll get used to it's flying style, it likes to be flown to the ground on landing and you can keep the tail up right till the end. My favourite landing technique is steep with full flap rounding out to grease it on the strip. I've not had any structural issues so wouldn't worry about the soft foam, although I would prefer it to be a little tougher like the MPX Fun Cub, but what I did do was give the whole airframe a couple of coats of Johnsons Klear Floor Polish which helps keep it clean. Regards John

Hi Jez,

Hope you don't mind me putting some pics on your thread, I did have them on my original CZC thread but lost the photos and couldn't reconnect them

Regards John

p1040968.jpg

Standard battery retention but it's all a bit tight with my sausage fingers.

p1040972.jpg

This is the battery cartridge.

p1040973.jpg

How it locks onto the the new base with adjustable COG positions.

p1040977.jpg

This replaces the old plastic tray.

p1040978.jpg

Battery and cartridge installed (the velcro straps around battery/cartridge not shown yet)

p1040988.jpg

I put some Kavan Superlights on because I liked the hubs and I can adjust the tyre pressures.

p1040979.jpg

Before.

p1040982.jpg

After application of some Callie Graphics from the states.

p1040998.jpg

Horizon Hobby spinner.

p1050263.jpg

Tail chequers courtesy of HobbyKing UK.

p1050264.jpg

With it's baby brother which whilst quite a different beast is a joy to fly.

Enjoy yours..

Kind Regards

John

I

I have one of these for six months or so. I passed my A cert using it. It's a great plane.

it had a bit of a issue last time I flew, I was using a orange cartridge in a taranis transmitter. Zero control and clipped a wing. To be fair it's very fixable but I'm grumpy still. I'll be getting shot of the as3x and putting a frysky one in.

when mine was new I changed the prop as it had serious issues on anything over half throttle. I checked it's balance and it was fine.

Did they send you battery tray?

I see what you mean, just looked at Gary's shipping page and says he will no longer send outside of America. I think when I got mine about a year ago it cost me about £11.00 postage.

Maybe an opportunity for a similar product for a UK supplier.

John, great to see your pics on here of course I don't mind. You have certainly treated your czc well. I must admit I liked the batter tray but shipping costs were to much, I looked again and now he does not offer international shipping at all but does suggest using a third party shipper ! Might give that ago ? Or do a diy job ? . ATB Jez