Foam wing joining

IanR

To:- Percy V.

As suggested, a new thread to ask the question - if not wishing to use epoxy resin on a foam wing joining bandage, is it better to opt for pva or aliphatic resin, for instance, Deluxe Materials Aliphatic Resin, on the bandage? Many thanks.

Ian

Advert

In the previous thread we were talking about fibreglass so I was surprised Percy mentioned PVA which is incompatible with fibreglass! Clearly he was talking about a different type of cloth. Perhaps specifying the cloth would help - maybe it's medical bandage as sometimes used

That's interesting Bob. My experiment years ago suggested it didn't. More recent experiement with water based varnish - for covering rather than reinforcement- found the varnish didnt really bond to fibreglass or nylon covering material.. Maybe it's different on very fine weave to others, maybe different PVA works.. More experimenting needed!

I use water based Varnish on lightweight glass cloth (0.6oz) and as long as you stipple it in carefully I find it bonds to both the underlying foam and the cloth itself..... but I have a suspicion that if the room is too warm the varish dries too quickly to really soak through - thats a suspicion not a stated fact!!!

Posted by Percy Verance on 23/03/2015 14:35:57:

Yes Bob, I certainly never found a problem there. Latterly though, I used lightweight glass cloth rather than fibreglass bandage. A coat of glue on the wing at the centre joint, followed by the cloth, then leave it to dry before following up with further coats of glue.

Very recently I've bought some Poly C, and intend to experiment a bit with it. I've not used it before, and first impressions seem very favourable indeed. I used it to get a decent finish on a new oak door threshold, and it's done the job perfectly. Now I've never entirely covered a model using glass cloth before, so I'm slowly building up the courage to have a crack at it......

Dave

I used Ronseal water based satin varnish on my 1/4 scale Cub (over a tex finish), and it's still good 8 years on.

Percy - I have used Poly-C, Ezecote and Ronseal Diamond Hard Varnish with 0.6oz glass on Depron - I cant tell the difference between them - apart from the cost the Ronseal is about 50% cheaper!