Aspen Alkylate Petrol

Does anyone use Aspen? I really want a larger petrol plane but standard petrol isn't an option as my models are stored indoors and the smell is to much.

This stuff **LINK** is being recommended by a flying buddy who is also a wiz with horticultural machinery, has anyone got any experience of this stuff ? It apparently has no more odour than glow fuel & reading the web page it seems better than pump petrol.

Advert

Cheers Cymaz , the stuff sounds very good indeed. My man has just bought a dle 20 and is running this through it, I look forward to seeing it in action.

Edited By Justin K. on 03/04/2015 16:32:19

Thanks Percy , I'm prepaird to take the cost thing on the chin if it means I can store the airframe indoors with no smell. A gallon of petrol seems to go a long way with the guys who use it at our club.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using it on the Laser 180 petrol prototype that I am working on. I use the aspen 2 50:1 premix stuff but you can also get it straight without the oil and mix it up yourself at whatever ratio oil you want. I cannot stand the smell of petrol so this stuff is a godsend. I did find that I lost about 100rpm of top end power but who cares

The smell is more like a very mild white spirit and you really need to get your nose in the bottle to get much of a waft of it. Its safe to say that I would never use petrol unless I needed to fly but was out of aspen and was unable to get more.

never tried aspen, do have a local supplier though, as for petrol making my car/workshop smell never have much of an issue, all my powered models are petrol, and all get transported and stored with fuel in tanks, all are sealed prior to either and wiped off with industrial wet wipes, make sure the fuel pipes are sealed well and should be no problem, and believe me my wife has the sense of smell of a bloodhound so any droplet is detected, hence the command to shower when I get back from field!!!

cj

Very interested in this stuff, as like others here I can't cope with the smell of regular petrol. Would be using it probably in a DLE30, and the DLE website states that this requires a 30:1 mix. The Aspen website states, for its premix 2 stroke fuel:

"Aspen 2 FRT is a pre-mixed (at 50:1) alkylate petrol suitable for all air cooled 2-stroke engines, no matter what fuel oil mix"

Elsewhere on the website it states that Aspen 2 FRT is for use in any aircooled 2 stroke.

So - what do you reckon? Would I need to add oil to make a 30:1 mix, or will the Aspen magic mix be OK as is?

Jon, Re petrol attacking carbs and other fittings this could be due to the EU insisting ethanol is added to our petrol currently 5%. I recently contacted Esso, BP and Murco. So far only Esso have replied and this was the response

Dear Mr Damms,

Thank you for contacting Esso Customer Care.

The majority of unleaded 95 Octane petrol sold in the UK contains 5% ethanol as required under the Government’s Renewable Transport Fuels Obligation (RTFO).

There is currently no requirement for renewable fuel (such as ethanol) to be present in super unleaded (97 grade petrol). Esso super unleaded petrol (Esso Energy Supreme) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland) and we have no current intention to add ethanol to Esso Energy Supreme in other areas of the UK.

We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Esso Energy Supreme – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland