BMFA Rules & Regs Test

Advert

Tony Richardson wrote (see)
Welllllll I didn't pass only got a 60% but I have no BMFA manual to study and the questions are so different from the AMA and MAAC so I do not feel so bad also could not get to the feed back page to see where the mistakes were made.  I think I will try again just for the hell of it..

The manual can be downloaded from www.bmfa.org

LowNFast wrote (see)

Mind you, The Elevator is used to control:-

the pitch and speed of the model - not in prop hang it doesn't i said plain pitch as being correct, my reasoning it is pitch that influences the speed not the elevator. speed is a result but then again, just being picky and if that's waht the book says, who am i to argue.

Mind you, brill site, got me reading

Hands up all those who have a reciever with anoher manufacturers xtal in it.

Fortunately, prop hanging is not part of the 'A' or 'B' test so not really relevant, to be really picky I would disagree with you anyway. If the aircraft was in a stable  prop hang and you pushed down elevator, the aircraft would gain forward speed and the pitch would have changed.

Thanks for the feedback though.

Regards - John

David Ashby - RCM&E wrote (see)
Great idea John and thank you. I'm still not saying how I did

Any chance of a bit of publicity in the mag AND make the offer that any club or organisation that wants it I will supply F.O.C. customised with their logos and local questions?

I feel this aspect is pretty much overlooked and takes a back burner when it comes to flying, many people have had a go (21,000 tests done now in 11 days), people are reading books, asking questions etc which can only help the sport. Many people have already passed their 'A' or 'B' but are still having a go!

Regards - John

(Educational Coordinator - BMFA Midland Region)

also could not get to the feed back page to see where the mistakes were made. 

When you get your result at the end, if you look at the bar above the pass / fail message you will see a magnifying glass. Click on the glass and then you can step back through the questions. Your answers are ticked and the correct answers have green animated arrows.

Regards - John

Yes thanks John - I think it's a good idea, I'm a 'B' cert holder but a refresher like this does me no harm.  I'll give it a mention in our next news pages.....look out for it in the Aug issue

I'm no computer wizz but the web address seems quite long - can we quote a shorter address?

Can you PM me your contact details that I can quote John, thanks.

David

I got 80%, did not find out what I did wrong.

The correct answers seemed pretty obvious and common sense. I guess the quiz is to try to get us to think a little more about what we do?

Like most exams to-day it has been dumbed down. When I was younger studying for GCE's I had to conjugate verbs, locate the modell verb, write in the infinitive. Today just tick a box. Is that a challenge?What happened to (in exam speak) in no more than 5000 words explain why and how the BFMA, has contributed to the national challenge of dxlesica (spell well)  improvement and how this relates to safety and littering.

Erfolg (room for improvement)

LowNFast wrote (see)

Hmm,

Need to read more.

Mind you, The Elevator is used to control:-

the pitch and speed of the model - not in prop hang it doesn't i said plain pitch as being correct, my reasoning it is pitch that influences the speed not the elevator. speed is a result but then again, just being picky and if that's waht the book says, who am i to argue.

Mind you, brill site, got me reading

Hands up all those who have a reciever with anoher manufacturers xtal in it.

LowNfast & John

In full size aviation the elevator is an attitude control and the throttle is an altitude control, any change in speed occured by the elevator is a secondary effect of the elevator who's primary effect is attitude, as it is a secondary effect perhaps this needs changing too "what is the primary and secondary effect of the elevator"? or even better "what is the primary effect of the *********** control surface"

Example: What effect does rudder have on the aircraft.

Yaw is the primary effect, but as a secondary effect it will roll the aircraft due to the increase in speed/lift of the outside wing.

Hope this helps, trying very hard not to be a smart a***.

Mike

I am well versed in primary and secondary effects of controls with 1000 hours on gliders and 1200 hours on light aircraft. Unfortunately the modelling fraternety don't seem bothered about these effects unless theyre pattern ship flyers. I witnessed someone take off and yell he hadn't got control, a ran across he had everything but aileron and was rapidly losing his model. The box was shoved into my hand I flew the circuit using rudder for direction, he was gobsmacked. He had a 'B' and had never thought of using rudder other than stall turns and taxying!

I still maintain that with nothing else changed other than elevator, it will affect pitch and speed, the question did come from an ACE so who am I to argue??

Regards - J

I have now received an E-Mail from the BFMA. It appears that I got all the questions right, therfore 100%.

So why 80% reported. I think one of the questions regarding "What must you do before taking off" had potentially more than one correct answer, in my opinion.

I do  not think that some of the questions are as well structured as they could be. Relying on the minutae of the sence. I know that in real terms it does not matter to peoples lives. Yet this method is a very useful and potentially easy way, to instill good habits.

I also get the sence that the BFMA and some contributers, believe that models should be operated in the identicale manner to full size. I personally would question if this is absolutly necessary. Many commercial flights have to consider the confort and safety of passengers, using throttle as a primary method of controlling altitude.  Yet I would guess that the elevator is used frequently during "Red Bull Aerobatics" which equates  to how models may be flown.

I am not trying to cause a controvesy, but think a discussion of what is really necessary to safely fly our models.

Erfolg

Erfolg 

Erfolg wrote (see)

I have now received an E-Mail from the BFMA. It appears that I got all the questions right, therfore 100%.

So why 80% reported. I think one of the questions regarding "What must you do before taking off" had potentially more than one correct answer, in my opinion.

I do  not think that some of the questions are as well structured as they could be. Relying on the minutae of the sence. I know that in real terms it does not matter to peoples lives. Yet this method is a very useful and potentially easy way, to instill good habits.

I also get the sence that the BFMA and some contributers, believe that models should be operated in the identicale manner to full size. I personally would question if this is absolutly necessary. Many commercial flights have to consider the confort and safety of passengers, using throttle as a primary method of controlling altitude.  Yet I would guess that the elevator is used frequently during "Red Bull Aerobatics" which equates  to how models may be flown.

I am not trying to cause a controvesy, but think a discussion of what is really necessary to safely fly our models.

Erfolg

Erfolg 

Hi,

Thanks for your input, I have looked at the question concerned:-

'What control checks must be made immediately before takeoff?

> Check controls move in the right direction
>Final check under full power during takeoff roll
>Check controls move smoothly (if some of them are a little jittery this is ok, it normally clears after take off).
> Check controls move smoothly

I ommited the select all that apply during the question so in one respect there is more than one answer. Common sense should rule out 2 of them, would you really try all the controls during full power in the takeoff roll? And id a surface was jittery would you fly?

Thanks for your feedback, the question will be ammended.

Regards - John

John

Thanks for the reply, I was only trying to help, I used to instruct at Challock, Lasham and Booker, perhaps we met at some time.

I know how difficult it is to put something like this together and can only applaud the effort put into this and bing it to the web, congratulations on what is proving to be a very interesting and helpfull thread.

Mike

Mike Johnson wrote (see)

John

Thanks for the reply, I was only trying to help, I used to instruct at Challock, Lasham and Booker, perhaps we met at some time.

I know how difficult it is to put something like this together and can only applaud the effort put into this and bing it to the web, congratulations on what is proving to be a very interesting and helpfull thread.

Mike

Mike your help much appreciated, in pure terms I agree with you BUT the gaffers want it different.

A guy that I shared a pirat with went to Lasham as an instructor I think 'Dinsdale' ?, I spent most of my holidays at Sutton Bank and Portmoak (Brilliant). Really miss my gliding, 50p for a launch and gone for the day (if I got it right!), my best every being a cable break at 300' and getting away from it for 9 hours!

Thanks for your help and encouragement, I really appreciate it. If you can think up a few questions from the book I'll gladly add them and acknowledge you.

Regards - John

That was around the time when I used to visit, I seem to recall the winchman was a polish guy and at the end of the day he used to get a flight in his ancient krajinach. No matter how good you were you could never get higher than him on the ridge, Lord knows how he did it but every time he was there looking down on you.

J

I used to go up to Portmoak many a happy hour or so sitting on the ridge, did my 5hr in a Swallow I was lower than everything else all day not supprising in that thing, then at Aboyne I got my Gold height, Gold distance in a Skylark 4 from Challock too Peterbough and not quite back, so no goal.  I than had a share in a Libelle and an ASW 17 later changed to an ASW 20 they where some machines, but in the end it came to me in a flash of inspiration that I was flying something around that cost more than my house.  And not only that the Abinitio's kept trying to kill me, or that's how it seemed.

Mike